• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bisteeya (aka pastilla, bastilla, bisteeya, b'stilla, bstilla )

That looks excellent, FlyingChopstik.  Congratulations on finding a good workaround for the warqa pastry.  

I'm looking at the recipe in question and puzzling over the spinach.  It always throws me when an ingredient is listed but then the instructions don't say what to do with it. The introduction to the recipe may give the best clue to what was supposed to have been done: it says "The charmoula-marinated seafood and fish...are sandwiched between two layers of vermicelli noodles and spinach leaves, which enable them to cook at very low heat to a point of perfect moistness."  (Wolfert, The Food of Morocco, © 2011, p. 142)  It looks like you did very nicely with your arrangement.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

FlyingChopstik, that looks great. I'm curious about the dough.  Since I know I won't attempt to make it from scratch, I'm wondering about substitutes like your brik dough or others.  I found some "country style" filo recently, which is supposed to be a thick filo.  Would that be appropriate, so you think?  I've used regular filo before, it was good but very delicate.

FlyingChopstik, that looks great. I'm curious about the dough.  Since I know I won't attempt to make it from scratch, I'm wondering about substitutes like your brik dough or others.  I found some "country style" filo recently, which is supposed to be a thick filo.  Would that be appropriate, so you think?  I've used regular filo before, it was good but very delicate.

Thanks Linda! Im not sure about the country filo and wish i could find it. I read somewhere that the country filo would be suitable. If you decide to use it, let us know how it turns out!

This is the brand of brik pastry that i used. It was pretty strong and indidnt have to cover it or worry about it drying out like filo. Do see if you can find it at a specialty shop though because on amazon its expensive!

Brick Doughs / Feuilles Sheets on Amazon

Edited by Smithy
Added Amazon link (log)

• 2 months later...

Chicken bastilla

This is pretty time consuming but you can definitely prepare the fried almonds, chivken and eggs in advance as Mrs Wolfert stated. I used Feuilles de brik and the bastilla came out wonderful. The flavors were delicious. My friends loved it and couldnt believe that it wasnt made in a restauraunt.

A tip from my friend to achieve the lines of cinnamon: after dusting the top of the bastilla with sugar, cut thin 1/4 inch strips of paper ( about 4 or 5 depending on size of bastilla). Lay thr strips at an angle across the top and dust with cinnamon. Then take the strips of paper and gently lift them to put excess cinnamon back into the bowl. Take strips again and line them along opposite angle ( think to makr diamond shape with lines) and dust once again with cinnsmon. Gently lift paper strips and dump excess cinnamon.... i know this may sounf confusingm i will try to post step by step photos next time.

IMG_20141224_202725_20150111_111852.jpg

IMG_20141224_203654_20150111_111923.jpg

IMG_20141224_202725_20150111_111852.jpg

IMG_20141224_203654_20150111_111923.jpg

• Like 1