• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in Atlanta area

Potter

Hello all. I will be visiting Atlanta for the first time over the Memorial Day weekend and need some recommendations from those in the know on where to get some good BBQ. The relatives I am visiting do not like BBQ (what the hell is wrong with them? It may explain why I have never visited them before)

I will be in Atlanta for one day (a Friday) and then will be at Calloway Gardens for 2 days (Sat & Sun). I must eat BBQ at least once a day while I am there. Recommendations for other places to eat (breakfast) are also welcome. If there are any good junk/antique shops/flea markets, I am happy to hear about those as well. Thanks :laugh:

Ton Ten Barbecue places in Atlanta :wink:

in alphabetical order, not according to quality particularly

• Anderson's Old-Fashion Bar-B-Q

• Bennie's Barbecue

• Bulluck's Best Bar-B-Q

• Dean's Barbecue

• Dusty's Barbecue

• Harold's Barbecue

• Jimmy's Smokehouse Barbecue

• Slope's BBQ

• Spiced Right

• Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q

also Pig'nChick and the most incredible Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No offense to gayot - but they're wrong.

Pig 'N' Chik is great, as is Swallow At The Hollow.

There is also Daddy D'z and Maddy's (not their own website).

My personal favorite is Fat Matt's. They have live music almost every night, and I just love the atmosphere there. (Mmmmm - ribs.) Oh parking is bad, but it's worth finding a space. If I remember correctly, Wednesday nights' band is the one that I really like.

What kinds of things are you into besides food? I love to play 'tour guide'. And if you want someone besides the family to show you around, remind me ahead of time so I can ask off from work. Have fun and enjoy the 'cue.

-Greg

My familiarity is limited to the Cobb County and North Fulton County parts of the metro Atlanta area. My favorites are: Swallow at the Hollow on Green Street in Roswell, Champs BBQ on South Cobb Drive in Smyrna, KC Pit BBQ on Hildebrand in Sandy Springs, Slopes on Hwy 92 in Woodstock and Roswell and in Sandy Springs, Williamson's on Roswell Street in Marietta. All are above average, in my opinion.

The relatives I am visiting do not like BBQ (what the hell is wrong with them?) 

Well, nothing. Because Atlanta doesn't have a much of a barbecue tradition. I like barbecue, but have it maybe twice a year. Dusty's (in town, near Emory University) is our local, and it's fine, but I'm sure as hell not eating it every day, or even every week. Barbecue places are not as common as you might think, and many of them are not particularly great.

Lots of other great food here that reflects the actual ethnic diversity in the community.

Can you pee in the ocean?

No offense to anyone, but Fatt Matt's was not to my liking. It's been a few years, and I suppose I could have been there on a bad day, but IMHO, the ribs seemed like they had been boiled first (tender, but not rendered, and no smoke ring), and the sauce tasted like the can the tomatoes came in. Cool atmosphere, though.

~Tad

No offense to anyone, but Fatt Matt's was not to my liking. 

Not to worry. Most people in Atlanta generally don't care enough about barbecue to have any strongly held opinions about it one way or the other. It's just not a big part of the culture here.

Can you pee in the ocean?

SmokeJack in Alpharetta is a new joint. Kinda upscale for a BBQ place but on the two visits there, lunch time, it's been more than acceptable.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

The one place we have consistently enjoyed while visiting Calloway Gardens is Crickets, which is about a mile west of the main entrance to Calloway. They do a good job on several Cajun dishes, as well as traditional foods.

i second Champs in Smyrna - always good - and Daddy Dz is quite good too, altho their quality seems hit or miss to me lately. the last time i went their beans came directly from a can, no doctoring. I was not happy.

Now if my memory serves isn't there supposed to be some to die for absolutely wonderful BBQ joint South of Atlanta on the way to Calloway Gardens perhaps?

Some BBQ places have great barbeque and others have great sides.....very few have both. For instance if you want the best cracklin' cornbread, go to Harold's over in SE Atlanta.

i second Champs in Smyrna - always good - and Daddy Dz is quite good too, altho their quality seems hit or miss to me lately.  the last time i went their beans came directly from a can, no doctoring.  I was not happy.

Now if my memory serves isn't there supposed to be some to die for absolutely wonderful BBQ joint South of Atlanta on the way to Calloway Gardens perhaps?

my guess is that you are thinking of Sprayberry's which was a favorite of the dearly departed Lewis Grizzard. While Lewis paid homage to the place I think most of his love of the place was b/c of fond memories from his child hood. The Fuss & I ate there a while back and it was good but by no means exceptional. (Of course both of us are of the opinion that you can seldomly have BAD barbecue. Some times barbecue is just that much better than at other places) If you are going past the place--and you would be if heading down I-85 towards Callaway Gardens--then it is worth a stop but I would not go out of my way for a visit.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

i think Sprayberry's had to be it.

RB2 - i';m not sure if you were referring to my post with comment about sides - which i do agree with you on - but Daddy Dz normally has really good beans. i don't know what happened on my last visit.

tryska, May 25 2005, 02:59 PM

i think Sprayberry's had to be it.

Another place in South Atlanta that crossed my mind is Melear's over near Fairburn/Union City. I was told that they are no longer open but believe I heard fr/ some one else that they were and have not been down that way in nearly for ever to confirm. Their 'cue was always very good and I visited quite often when the Rev & Mrs. Rev were "stationed" in Fairburn.

Melear's is not in a direct line fr/ Atlanta to Callaway but not too far off the beaten path. I still think Sprayberry's is the one in mind but mentioning another possibility.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.