• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastrami in northern NJ

nutleygirl

Hubby and I have a pastrami craving and don't know where to go. Tony's in Passaic Park was the closest place, but now it's gone. We are in the Nutley area, but are willing to venture further afield for a great sandwich. Thanks!

You gotta go to THE KOSHER NOSH!!

The Kosher Nosh is the real deal and their food is delicious!!! From Nutley you can just take 21 to 20 to Fairlawn Ave to Prospect and you'll be there in 15 - 20 minutes.

Here's their website with a map. Their website is cute - put on your computer speakers

Kosher Nosh

Hubby and I have a pastrami craving and don't know where to go.  Tony's in Passaic Park was the closest place, but now it's gone.  We are in the Nutley area, but are willing to venture further afield for a great sandwich.

Would Exit 10 on the Turnpike - Edison, NJ, be too far?

That's where you find Harold's Deli and this sandwich

pastrami-4eg.jpg

although the sandwich is now bigger than this one from a few years ago.

You'll be offered the pastrami 'lean' or 'juicy', which is to say, fatty, and it's excellent.

Indicentally, Harold Jaffe, the owner, at one point had a number of Harold's Delis around the state, but sold them all off and has no connection to them anymore, and they do NOT get their pastrami, or anything from him (which is a shame, as many of them are closer).

Still, the place is not 30 seconds from Exit 10, and is certainly worth the trip if you've never been. It's attached to a Holiday Inn - until recently it was a Ramada, in case you find directions that tell you that.

The pastrami is excellent. If you go, please post your comments. I'd ask you to take photos, but apparently the new, bigger sandwich requires a lens not yet invented. (Not to worry, they also offer a smaller sandwich - why, I don't know...)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Here's another vote for the Kosher Nosh. Definitely the best deli in Bergen County and perhaps the state. Petak's in Fair Lawn is also very good, but I think they're closed on Saturdays. The sandwich form the deli in Edison looks good too, but it's too far for me to go on a regular basis.

Goodman's of Elmora, Elmora Avenue. It's been at this location since the early 1950s (perhaps earlier) and, athough it's gone through two changes of ownership, brothers Irv and Julie Goodman long since retired, it's hardly changed (other than the prices, and reupholstering of the counter stools and a fresh paint job).

For a real treat, order the No. 5 Jumbo Combo (pastrami, corned beef, slaw, russian on rye).

Not too-much-to-eat sandwiches like Harold's, just good, always freshly made and trimmed sandwiches. The brisket is popular too. My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that the owner trims too much of the fat off of the CB, pastrami and brisket after cooking, IMHO, but that's what 99% of the public wants.

Added plus: directly across the street is an old-fashioned bagel place: water bagels, sized reasonably, not those overblown monstrosities you get at too many places today. I believe it's owned by the same family that owned the old Watson's Bagels of Newark and, later, Irvington, and that today owns another bagel bakery in South Orange and Sonny Amster's bakery at the Millburn Mall off Vauxhall Road in Union.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Livingston Bagel on Northfield Avenue in Livingston; it's just east of the intersection of Northfield and S. Livingston Ave. YUM.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was intrigued by the comments about Goodman's (I found a few more in the Lunch in Elizabeth thread) and went there today for lunch. It turns out to be about 18 miles from Hoboken, and not all that far from Exit 13 on the Turnpike.

I had the pastrami sandwich, and it was alright, but nothing to write home about. It was tender and moist, for sure, which made it better than a lot of pastrami I try, but I found the flavor less than fully satisfying, somehow. I don't know enough about the spices involved to say what exactly was lacking, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Carnegie Deli's pastrami (when it's good, it's great, and some nights it is, some nights it definitely isn't), nor as much as Harold's (where except for one bad take-out experience, the pastrami has always been excellent).

Depending on my cravings and time, I may someday give it another try, although at that point Harold's is just another 12 miles south on the Turnpike...

If the original poster tries any of the places mentioned, or finds any others, would you please file a report on the pastrami? Thanks!

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Livingston Bagel on Northfield Avenue in Livingston; it's just east of the intersection of Northfield and S. Livingston Ave.  YUM.

Driving past this location recently, there's either 1 of 2 things going on...

1. Livingston Bagel is closed

2. Livingston Bagel is going through a MAJOR renovation

From the outside, there looks to be major construction going on both inside and outside of this location.

Does anybody know the story?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I had the pastrami sandwich, and it was alright, but nothing to write home about. It was tender and moist, for sure, which made it better than a lot of pastrami I try, but I found the flavor less than fully satisfying, somehow.  I don't know enough about the spices involved to say what exactly was lacking, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Carnegie Deli's pastrami (when it's good, it's great, and some nights it is, some nights it definitely isn't), nor as much as Harold's (where except for one bad take-out experience, the pastrami has always been excellent).

I think what's missing at Goodman's is salt to excess.

Robert's Market Report

I had the pastrami sandwich, and it was alright, but nothing to write home about. It was tender and moist, for sure, which made it better than a lot of pastrami I try, but I found the flavor less than fully satisfying, somehow.  I don't know enough about the spices involved to say what exactly was lacking, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Carnegie Deli's pastrami (when it's good, it's great, and some nights it is, some nights it definitely isn't), nor as much as Harold's (where except for one bad take-out experience, the pastrami has always been excellent).

Now THAT's really curious that you'd say that. As I was eating the pastrami, that thought occurred to me as one possibility. However, for the rest of the day I was thirstier than I think I've ever been - I mean, thirsty enough (after several large bottles of water) that I kept thinking back to what I had eaten (well, momentarily one forgets, you know), and realized that even though it seemed not to taste of it, the pastrami must have been a lot saltier than I realized.

markk

Indicentally, Harold Jaffe, the owner, at one point had a number of Harold's Delis around the state, but sold them all off and has no connection to them anymore, and they do NOT get their pastrami, or anything from him (which is a shame, as many of them are closer).

I went to one of them recently. I regognized the name because I was introduced to the Edison Harold's last November ( I was attending a function in south Jersey and one of the guys couldn't resist stopping off on the way down and picking up two sandwiches. Six of us managed to share those bad boys.) I was driving up Oradel Ave (?) by the Fashion Mall and spied the sign. I didn't think it would be the same experience but figured 'what the heck' and stopped in.

This one is more of a grocery store with a deli section in the back. I got one pastrami and one corned beef (normal sized sandwiches, btw). The pastrami was good- I liked the flavor but thought it was a bit too lean. The corned beef, however, was heavenly. Great flavor and a really luscious texture- with no big hunks of fat. Maybe I just like corned beef better because that seems to be my reaction across the board, no matter where I go- but I would go back just for that sandwich, whereas I would get the pastrami only if I was in the nabe.

Of course, this is only a first impression.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I think a field trip to Katz's is NYC is in order... it's not that far, and would save us all the agonizing about pastrami. I mean, Katz's has to be the ultimate pastrami, and it's just the other side of the Holland Tunnel!! We could organize a bus out of Jersey City!! :biggrin:

Now THAT's really curious that you'd say that. As I was eating the pastrami, that thought occurred to me as one possibility. However, for the rest of the day I was thirstier than I think I've ever been - I mean, thirsty enough (after several large bottles of water) that I kept thinking back to what I had eaten (well, momentarily one forgets, you know), and realized that even though it seemed not to taste of it, the pastrami must have been a lot saltier than I realized.

Keep in mind that Goodman's is the pastrami of my youth, just as the late, lamented Mother Hubbard (Westfield & Elmora Ave., Elizabeth) was the hamburger of my youth. There may well be better examples of each, but they were the foods of my youth, and nothing will ever taste as good.

Robert's Market Report

Keep in mind that Goodman's is the pastrami of my youth,

Oh, I know all about that (and I enjoyed your posts in 'Lunch in Elizabeth' tremendously much). I think we should be grateful that these places, and this food, still exist!

When I was a kid growing up in Queens in the 50's, every neighborhood had at least one Kosher deli, and one "Appetizing" Store. Now just try and find someone who even knows what that is !! I'm sure that soon these foods will all just vanish.

Is the Tabatchnick's in the Millburn Mall on Vauxhall Road gone? I don't go by there very often, so forgive me if it is ancient history. I remember , though, that Tabatchnicks had some terrific pastrami!!

Very much open, Menton! We stopped in there during the Hot Dog Run!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

After I tried Goodman's (above), I decided that I definitely want to try Livinston Bagel, Kosher Nosh, and Tabatchnick's [are they related to the frozen food Tabatchnick's?].

In the meantime, having not been totally satisfied by Goodman's (didn't love it, didn't hate it), I went back to Harold's and took out another sandwich.

harold-pastrami-new26.jpg

As discussed on a few other pastrami threads here, it has grown in size by 7 ounces in the past year, but the size isn't the point. It was totally delicious. Someone on a different thread who just had it called it "melt in your mouth delicious" which is was, and tasty too! It's one of the smokiest pastramis I've ever had, and it's a winner.

Still, I've made it a vow to try Livingston Bagel, Kosher Nosh, and Tabatchnick's, once Passover is over - since I almost went to Kosner Nosh the other day and learned they were closed for the holiday. Maybe I'll find a new favorite pastrami !