• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salmon pastrami: desperate for a good recipe!

Gifted Gourmet

I went out for lunch today and had a divine piece (or two) of salmon pastrami ... and now I absolutely must replicate this item!

There is only one recipe which I was able to Google and it was from Mimi Hiller .. but are there others perhaps?

I don't want to buy it ... or steal it ... or borrow it .. just want to make my own ... don't have a smoker but I know it can be cured as I do with my gravlax ...

Please tell me that there are recipes available out there! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The New York Times Jewish Cookbook has a recipe for Pastrami Salmon adapted from David Burke, who I believe created the dish. I've made it once. Blovie and I liked it. My guests, on the otherhand, weren't so thrilled - I chalk it up to them not being adventurous eaters. :biggrin:

Pastrami Salmon

1 side fresh salmon, about 2 - 2 1/2 pounds, skin and bones removed

1 cup coarse kosher salt

1/2 cup sugar

3 tablespoonss cracked pepper

2 bunches fresh cilantro

1 bunch fresh Italian parlsey

1/2 pound shallots, peeled

1/2 cup molasses

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

5 bay leaves

2 tablesponns pakpika

2 tablespoons coriander

2 tablespoons greshly ground black pepper

In a bowl combine salt, sugar, and cracked pepper. Mix well to combine.

In food processor combine cilantro, parsley, and shallots until smooth but not watery.

Coat salmon with salt/sugar/pepper mixture on both sides and then cover with the cilantro/parsley/shallot puree.

Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 days

Scrape off the marinade from salmon and make sure the fish is dry

In pan combine molasses, cayenne, and bay leaves and bring to boil. Let simmer for 1 minute and allow mixture to cool slightly. Brush fish on both sides with molasses mixture.

Toss paprika, coriander, black pepper together and sprinkle over both sides of fish.

Refrigerate overnight

Slice salmon on a bias into thin slices.

They suggest serving with rye toast and mustard oil.

I can understand your enthusiasm for the dish. I ate it at Park Avenue Cafe years ago and it stuck with me. I loved it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Bloviatrix, this looks absolutely wonderful, while not being too difficult to prepare ... I do believe that I will try to make it as soon as Passover ends!

Much appreciation .. what do guests know? :rolleyes: You and Blovie are the true gourmands .. and I take your word for the taste. Emes is emes! :laugh:

Here's another Salmon Pastrami recipe, a whole lot closer to gravlax in preparation, but with a clear emphasis on the coriander seeds.

4 lbs. center-cut salmon, filet but w/skin

4 tbs salt

1/2 cup sugar

4 tbs whole black peppercorns (1 + 3 tbs)

7 tbs whole coriander seed (1 + 6 tbs)

4 tbs whole mustard seeds

Wash and wipe skin of fish. Combine salt, sugar, 1 tbs peppercorns and 1 tbs coriander, sprinkle over flesh side. Place two halves' flesh sides together. Place in enamel or glass container, cover tightly. Place brick or other heavy weight on salmon. Refrigerate for 3-4 days, turning occassionally.

Coarsely grind remaining 3 tbs peppercorns, 6 tbs coriander seeds and 4 tbs mustard seeds. Scrape salt/sugar mixture off fish, sprinkle with new ground mixture., lightly pressing into flesh. Salmon can be refrigerated at this point. To serve, slice thinly, serve with lemon wedges and light toast, if desired

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I have absolutely no idea. A quick check of the OU passover guide came up unsuccessful, but that doesn't mean anything.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I just looked at the OK web site's Pesach food guide (look under the category of sugar, page 16 of 18). They certify some molasses, but I think it's all commercial. I don't know if you can find it retail.

With respect to the good Rabbi, I think he is only partly right. Molasses is the dregs from sugar making, an can and is made from any sugar stock - cane, beet or corn. While in the US it may be derived from corn, west indian is more likely to be sugar cane, which, so far as I know is permitted (so long as it is not fermenting) You could specify cane molasses.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

With respect to the good Rabbi, I think he is only partly right.

He consulted with a "higher authority" actually .. another Orthodox rabbi ... and, after talking to him, decided to skip the molasses part of salmon pastrami and return to his original appetizer of gravlax .... which I have decided as well ...

Considering everything, for the eight days, it hardly seems worthwhile to introduce "possible" chametz into a cleaned Passover kitchen .. one has another 357 days left in the year to "experiment" to one's heart's desire! :laugh: Thanks for your input, Jack!

I wonder if the good rabbonim (may they be praised and honoured) were confusing molasses with malt, which is indeed made from barley. Both sticky brown thick liquids, although I don't think the doctrine of "hoochas h'goy" applies here. One could also argue that blackstrap molasses is not fit for a dog to eat, and hence kosher.

I look forward to trying the recipe; I've just acquired some fruit wood shvings, so I can try smoking as well

Edited by jackal10 (log)