• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panko

researchgal

i don't know about interesting, but i use panko to add "crunch" to sashimi preparations.

panko with sashimi? :huh:

crunchy baby. crunchy.

and why would you want crunch with sashimi? :huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I could see why you might do this.. add an additional very contrasting texture.

Especially if you were to say, add panko to poke... OOOH! Thanks Tommy, I'm going to try this.

Or if you were to add it to your maki you could come up with several lovely rolls... similar textures to French roll (shrimp tempura maki) or spider rolls (soft shell crab maki)

I'll let you know how it comes out!

:smile:

i don't know about interesting, but i use panko to add "crunch" to sashimi preparations.

crunchy baby. crunchy.

here in NY and NJ, most sushi places offer something called "crunchy" rolls. generally, the fish is mixed with a bit of tempura batter. sometimes panko. i use panko.

crunchy baby. crunchy.

here in NY and NJ, most sushi places offer something called "crunchy" rolls. generally, the fish is mixed with a bit of tempura batter. sometimes panko. i use panko.

Is the panko toasted first? to give it more crunch and flavor?

the ten-kasu (tempura balls) I can understand, though I really don't care for them..

You should try baby star ramen, this is especially good in okonomiyaki (instead on ten-kasu)

i think most use tempura. i toast mine for more crunch an flavor. it's about texture. nothing more, nothing less. we americans, we be simple folk, what with the liken' of our crunch and all. :wink:

i think most use tempura. i toast mine for more crunch an flavor. it's about texture. nothing more, nothing less. we americans, we be simple folk, what with the liken' of our crunch and all. :wink:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

shew. flame war averted. it's so easy these days on egullet. why i remember way back when when........oh, nevermind.

:biggrin:

Baby star ramen are a snack that are basically toasted chicken flavored ramen noodles in a bout 1 inch pieces. They taste a little like the noodles my mother used to put on top of chop suey (the kind in the can with the noodles in a seperate can).

They are great for crunch.

• 1 year later...

a friend asked a question i couldn't answer: panko are usually described as japanese bread crumbs. but what constitutes japanese bread? do they come from the (usually pretty terrible) baguettes i find at japanese groceries? or do they come from something else? is the bread distinctly japanese, or is it the process by which the crumbs are produced that is japanese?

a friend asked a question i couldn't answer: panko are usually described as japanese bread crumbs. but what constitutes japanese bread? do they come from the (usually pretty terrible) baguettes i find at japanese groceries? or do they come from something else? is the bread distinctly japanese, or is it the process by which the crumbs are produced that is japanese?

Someone else will surely verify this but I believe that panko is made soley for use as bread crumbs and there is no panko bread. I think panko bread crumbs are made by shooting particles of dough onto a hot metal surface. The particles cook and are then scraped off.

South Florida

according to this site (in English):

http://www.kyoeifood.co.jp/e/index-e.html

which has pictures of the process,

they actually make loaves of what looks like Japanese shoku-pan (everyday white bread) and then smash it.

I am not sure if this is how all manufacturers make it though...

• 2 months later...

I use them for breading fish, pork and crabe cakes. A tip: after oyu have breaded with them put the meat back into the refrig for an hour or so then fry.

We also mix panko with Pamasan anhard boiled egg, then sprinkle on asparagus and top with a little balsamic and olive oil. In fact, that's what we'll do tonight.

dave

An inspired bit of madness I came up with one night was to whirl up some wasabi covered peas in the food processor and then mix them 1:1 with bread crumbs to coat some tuna. It was delicious and I've since done it with wasabi covered peanuts as well. I'd imagine it would be spectacular with the lighter panko crumbs.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You can use panko for tons of breading aplications. Calimari comes to mind.

When I was a teenager (worked in a japanese restaurant) we made a dish called pankodon chicken. I am not sure how authentic it was but it was tasty. You take a rice bowl and top it with a chicken breast (sliced)that has been breaded in panko and fried.Then you top it with a sauce of sorts.

Mix up soy based sauce. This should be a watery consistency. You can put what you want in it but I am thinking soy sauce, garlic and/or ginger, maybe a little rice wine or rice wine vinegar. It had a little sweetness to it, so maybe a little molasis or brown sugar as well.

Anyway

Heat your sauce in a very small saute pan (6-8"). After the sauce is hot, scramble an egg and drop it in the sauce to cook. Throw some green onions in. This will make a sort of floating omlette.Now remember the rice bowl with the panko fried chicken? Pour the sauce with the egg over the top.

I use panko for any application that calls for breadcrumbs when I do not have a supply of in-house toasted bread crumbs (from dried baguettes etc cubed then shattered in a food processor).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM