• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mark Bittman takes on America's chefs

Ruth

The first episode of this series (I caught it on WNJN/50 but other PBS stations must be running it)

was a resounding success. José Andres was Bittman's guest. Andres' approach to food was, as always, fascinating. The show was both instructive an entertaining without any of the irritating Alton Brown genre of clowning. I was surprised that Bittman turned out to be such a natural for TV. The show was obviously unscripted and the give and take was a pleasure to watch.

Ruth Friedman

I caught it on MPT (Maryland Public TV-22) Saturday morning...I had completely forgotten that I read this thread, and was thinking the concept sounded familiar...

I agree the format is enjoyable to watch--even makes me want to go out and buy the cookbook!

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the episode tonight on PBS wherein Mark Bittman took on Daniel Boulud .. they prepared lamb dishes ... I was quite impressed with the format and participants .. very natural and educational .. especially Boulud's lamb chop kebobs.

The overwhelmingly complex dishes featured so many exotic ingredients, including a never-before-seen citrus fruit (never-before-seen by Bittman, anyway) and peeled grapes, that Bittman appeared temporarily stunned.For complexity here, Boulud gets a ten, Bittman a two. For ease of preparation, the other way around. For flavor, both are incredible.

website for this series on PBS

the episodes guide

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 4 months later...

I've watched a few of the "How to Cook Everything" programs. My local PBS channel is showing 2 shows back-to-back once a week. I really enjoy these. I get to see some fabulous chefs in their element with their own dishes demonstrated and then Mark Bittman takes the main ingredient or concept of the dish and creates his own simplified version. This is sooooooo much better than the FN shows that are supposed to entertain/teach cooking.

Two thumbs up!

• 2 weeks later...

This show has also been airing on the high definition PBS channel that I get as well. I have to say that seeing the food in HD is pretty nice. I do enjoy the show as well. I like the casual, loose feel between Bittman & the chefs.

Ooh, I'll have to tune into this -- thank you for letting us know. I've stopped watching television out of disgust, but methinks it's time to permanently set the TV to PBS.

I am so glad there is a countpoint to what the other networks are showing -- this focus on "smart food" makes me all tingly. Woohoo!

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

• 7 months later...