• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Article in Today's Inquirer

mrbigjas

Maybe Laban should be joining us for a Pizza Club. Yeah, that'll happen.

He lurks here. I know he does. Perhaps he'll join us for a Pizza Club outing if we agree to provide the disguise?? Groucho Glasses? A gigantic pile of frites and a waiter to hold them in front of his face all evening like his latest photo in Philadelphia Magazine? Whadda 'ya think? :laugh:

And thanks for defending my oh-so-sensitive palate, Rich. You're my hero. :wub:

He can just use a slice with pepperoni and an outstretched hand.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Maybe Laban should be joining us for a Pizza Club. Yeah, that'll happen.

He lurks here. I know he does. Perhaps he'll join us for a Pizza Club outing if we agree to provide the disguise?? Groucho Glasses? A gigantic pile of frites and a waiter to hold them in front of his face all evening like his latest photo in Philadelphia Magazine? Whadda 'ya think? :laugh:

And thanks for defending my oh-so-sensitive palate, Rich. You're my hero. :wub:

He can just use a slice with pepperoni and an outstretched hand.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nah - that disguise is already taken. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie is point on regarding the personality of the Philly pizza at its best: it is the crust, more flavorful than NY versions, and yeastier than Midwestern and West Coast styles; I imagine that the Philly water DOES have something to do with that; I've never heard of pizzerias in Philly eschewing the local tap stuff in favor of other water. After over a year of Pizza Clubs across the area and into Brooklyn for one excursion, the Philly crust found at Taconneli's, Rustica, Mama Palma's, Marra's, Joe's and yes, even at Pietro's and Lombardi's has a quality that can be discerned. George's, to me anyway, is nothing special; it reminds me of the generic Sbarro and other mall pizzerias that do nothing to progress the ouvre. The water here in the Trenton area is certainly nothing great to drink (we dont even drink the tap water here in Lawrenceville, NJ), and I suspect that it lends itself to the superior crusts at iconic tomato pie places like the Delorenzo's of Hudson St and Hamilton Ave., as well as the great pies at Top Road Tavern.

Rich, as a newbie to this forum, I must say that you clearly know about all the best places in the area. Having grown up in West Trenton, it seems to me that Trenton gets no respect from the reviewers. Have you tried Conti's in Princeton? Of course Delorenzos on Hudson has been my personal favorite for over 40 years and still does it better than anyone else. I once coaxed Gary into giving me the recipe for their basic tomato pie. After taking home his dough (Pillsburys Finest) and a few cans of six in one hand ground tomato (which I combine with high quality San Marzano tomatoes for my sauce) and redpack, it was off to Luciano Brothers in Morrisvile to buy firebricks for my non-commercial oven. After pre-heating the bricks all dayat the highest temperature, I must say the end result was close to Gary's pie.

Katie is point on regarding  the personality of the Philly pizza at its best: it is the crust, more flavorful than NY versions, and yeastier than Midwestern and West Coast styles; I imagine that the Philly water DOES have something to do with that; I've never heard of pizzerias in Philly eschewing the local tap stuff in favor of other water.  After over a year of Pizza Clubs across the area and into Brooklyn for one excursion, the Philly crust found at Taconneli's, Rustica, Mama Palma's, Marra's, Joe's and yes, even at Pietro's and Lombardi's has a quality that can be discerned.  George's, to me anyway, is nothing special; it reminds me of the generic Sbarro and other mall pizzerias that do nothing to progress the ouvre. The water here in the Trenton area is certainly nothing great to drink (we dont even drink the tap water here in Lawrenceville, NJ), and I suspect that it lends itself to the superior crusts at iconic tomato pie places like the Delorenzo's of Hudson St and Hamilton Ave., as well as the great pies at Top Road Tavern.

Rich, as a newbie to this forum, I must say that you clearly know about all the best places in the area. Having grown up in West Trenton, it seems to me that Trenton gets no respect from the reviewers. Have you tried Conti's in Princeton? Of course Delorenzos on Hudson has been my personal favorite for over 40 years and still does it better than anyone else. I once coaxed Gary into giving me the recipe for their basic tomato pie. After taking home his dough (Pillsburys Finest) and a few cans of six in one hand ground tomato (which I combine with high quality San Marzano tomatoes for my sauce) and redpack, it was off to Luciano Brothers in Morrisvile to buy firebricks for my non-commercial oven. After pre-heating the bricks all dayat the highest temperature, I must say the end result was close to Gary's pie.

Considering Gary uses a regular Bari pizza oven, it's amazing he gets the crisp, smoky, crackly crust he gets. I did forget about Conte's in Princeton, a very good pie, but not in the class of the trinity in Trenton. The city's tomato pies don't get enough respect, I agree, but I was heartened to see a piece in the Philadelphia Weekly about 2 montghs ago, when Lauren McCutcheon finally made her pilgrimage.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Considering Gary uses a regular Bari pizza oven, it's amazing he gets the crisp, smoky, crackly crust he gets.  I did forget about Conte's in Princeton, a very good pie, but not in the class of the trinity in Trenton.  The city's tomato pies don't get enough respect, I agree, but I was heartened to see a piece in the Philadelphia Weekly about 2 montghs ago, when Lauren McCutcheon finally made her pilgrimage.

I have to agree with you about Conti's. There's just such a dearth of good restaurants of any kind in Princeton, Conti's is a good choice and the beer makes it all the more palatable.

I must, however, disagree with your inclusion of DeLorenzo's on Hamilton Ave as part of your Trenton trinity though. I like the pie only if the line on Hudson street is too long! I have found the pizza there inconsistant. Actually Joe's tomato pies (now closed) used to be my 2nd choice in the burg.

Considering Gary uses a regular Bari pizza oven, it's amazing he gets the crisp, smoky, crackly crust he gets.  I did forget about Conte's in Princeton, a very good pie, but not in the class of the trinity in Trenton.  The city's tomato pies don't get enough respect, I agree, but I was heartened to see a piece in the Philadelphia Weekly about 2 montghs ago, when Lauren McCutcheon finally made her pilgrimage.

I have to agree with you about Conti's. There's just such a dearth of good restaurants of any kind in Princeton, Conti's is a good choice and the beer makes it all the more palatable.

I must, however, disagree with your inclusion of DeLorenzo's on Hamilton Ave as part of your Trenton trinity though. I like the pie only if the line on Hudson street is too long! I have found the pizza there inconsistant. Actually Joe's tomato pies (now closed) used to be my 2nd choice in the burg.

I miss Joe's too, but the Hamilton Ave Delorenzo's has never failed to deliver an excellent tomato pie for me. Try the asparagus and red pepper pie in particular.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large