• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer feast weekend sugestion

Tracey868

We are coming in for the Mannuyunk Beerfeast at the end of April. Decided to stay at Penn's View before the feast... Any comment on that??? Love to know good places to eat Friday Night. Is this by anything good.. resturants.. bars???

Thanks

Tracey

A Philly beer visit would be incomplete without a stop at the Grey Lodge (www.greylodge.com) at 6235 Frankford Ave. While it may be redundant when talking beer, be sure to check out the restrooms.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Decided to stay at Penn's View before the feast... Any comment on that???

Penn's View is also the home of Panorama. Had lunch there yesterday, and I can't help but commend them on their pasta. I always enjoy it. Also, Panorama has the best cruvinet that I have seen - about 120 bottles of wine available by the glass.

Panorama would not be a bad choice on a Friday night. Lots of other good places nearby too - Fork for instance.

We are coming in for the Mannuyunk Beerfeast at the end of April. Decided to stay at Penn's View before the feast... Any comment on that??? Love to know good places to eat Friday Night. Is this by anything good.. resturants.. bars???

Thanks

Tracey

My modified beer tour:

Happy Hour at The Standard Tap, 2nd & Poplars Sts, a quick cab ride from the Penns View Inn;

dinner at Ludwig's Garten, 1315 Sansom;

walk next door to McGillin's Old Ale House for some silly karaoke and 22 taps of increasingly interesting beer;

nightcaps at :

Nodding Head Brewpub, 1500 block of Sansom

or Monk's Cafe, 16th and Spruce Sts.

and really, you SHOULD also make time for the romantic wine bar at your hotel. Il Bar has the largest cruvinet in the US, and a spectacular selection of wine and wine flights, and some very very good food. A worthy and utterly romantic nightcap place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Does the Standard Tap still practice their ridiculous 'no reservations, no hostess' seating policy? I had been there for drinks before, but tried it once recently for dinner, and not only did they not take reservations, they also did not have anyone there to seat you. We had to just roam the two floors until someone left a table open, which is bad for everyone: I felt like a jackass hovering around the dining room, and I'm sure the people eating felt uncomfortable having me (and several other groups of people) wandering around waiting for one of them to leave. Unfortunately we were meeting someone and had to stay, otherwise I would've gone somewhere else.

Anyway, if they still do that, stay far, far away from the Standard Tap.

Some other good places in that area:

For sushi, try Kisso, 4th and Race.

Tangerine, on Market between 2nd and 3rd, is expensive but very good.

I've only eaten at Ludwig's once, and it was so bad that I haven't been back, at least not to have dinner. Maybe they were just having a bad night, or maybe the food was just a little *too* authentic, but there are too many other great places out there for me to try it again. I think Monk's food is better than Ludwig's, but you can forget about going there for dinner on a weekend night, you'll be waiting an hour for a table, and Monk's doesn't take reservations. Ludwig's has a draft beer selection that's almost as good as Monk's, and it's not as popular, so you have an easier time getting in.

Another place that I've come to like a lot is Ten Stone, their beer selection is great and the food can be better than Monk's, depending on what you get. But at 21st and South st., it's kind of far from Panorama.

Taking "beer" out of the equation... what other resturants are near the area for dinner?

Walking distance "real" hoagies and cheesesteaks at Campo's - 214 Market Street.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Thanks for soo many suggestions.....

Taking "beer" out of the equation... what other resturants are near the area for dinner?

Tracey

I've always liked Il Cantuccio, although I've heard mixed reviews in the 3-6 years since I've been there.

North 3rd and Abbaye are Standard Tap type places that are a lot less popular, perfect for me usually.

All three of those are on 3rd between Fairmount and Poplar.

IIRC, Aden on 2nd just below Fairmount has always been well-liked with little written about it.

I can't really say much about Tabula Rosa and Azure, within spitting distance from the Tap (across the street and 2 doors down, respectively) but they're there.

Up at 3rd and Girard you have El Viejo San Juan which was well-liked a few years ago with not much commentary since then.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Standard Tap was still closed last night for renovation...

(Don't remember if the week of renovation is almost up or not?)

Anyway, we wanted a quick meal last night in our NoLib neighborhood.

N. 3rd was absolutely PACKED, all the leftovers from Tap...

Honey's (new on 4th) isn't open yet (no idea what type of food they'll have).

So we went into Rustica to get take out, which is right next to Tap.

First of all, that place should be in the Pizza thread. Their pizza, their pannini, especially their ricotta, fresh spinach and sausage stromboli should be mentioned...

Anyway, while we were waiting for our order, there must have been 8-10 parties of couples and friends that went up to the door, read the sign, and were bummed that Tap was closed! Popular place on a Thursday night!

We love it there. I think part of the charm of the place is that it is a pub with good food, and doesn't warrant having someone seat you! I actually like that about the place...

Philly Francophiles