• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Undiscovered Breakfast

katbert

It's called Asia Bakery, and it's right between Ho Sai Gai and KC's, next to the old-fashioned meeting hall (is it the Businessmen's Association?) with the classically Chinese exterior. Having Vietnamese on the awning as well as Chinese and English, I assumed that it was at least marginally Vietnamese.

From Google: http://tinyurl.com/4s59h

I made a run up there tonight after supper at Pho Ba Le, bun bo hue and a summer roll (bun bia?), which was a real let-down after earlier trips.

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

Yea, you're right. I totally forgot about that place.

That old fashioned meeting hall is the Chinese Cutural Center, if I'm not mistaken,

since I've never actually been inside.

If I'm right, it's where the New Year's dinners that got some press outside Chinatown were held until they stopped having them a few years ago.

It probably is part-Vietnamese, or at least owned by Chinese who grew up in Vietnam.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Melograno is open for Sunday brunch also- I'm not sure if they've always done this or if I just noticed b/c I was walking by yesterday. Thanks for all the suggestions, I've added some new places to my list of places to try. We're still a little bit fixated on Sabrina's- the wait list was already going by 9:30 on Sat. but it wasn't long yet (special FT=french apple orange stuffed french toast w/ ?currants?). I think our new policy is if we can't get there before 9:45am we have to go somewhere else. Now that it's warmer out we can go back to Carmen's. Also stopped by Sarcone's and noticed that they sell bags of breadcrumbs.

WRT chinese bakeries, I've been frequenting SaintHonere's because their egg tarts have the multilayer flaky crusts vs the cookie crust ones at KCs. It's worth the heart stopping shortening/hydrogenated fat ingestion.

Melograno is open for Sunday brunch also- I'm not sure if they've always done this or if I just noticed b/c I was walking by yesterday.

We walked by Melograno on our way to Dog Park and noticed the set up. Upon harsh and protracted questioning they confessed they just had a wedding reception. No brunch in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Went to Café Sud today and tried three of the specials: andouille+chorizo+potato hash w/ 2 eggs, apples sauteed w/ calvados+sage sausage stuffed french toast, chocolate+sweet cheese stuffed french toast (each was ~$11). The french toast is more ovally and flatter than Sabrina's stuffed FT (which is pretty much my gold standard for FT) and the portion size is much more reasonable (ie smaller than enormo) but I think it's executed better than at Sabrina's- the bread was a little crispy from the grill, the savoury filling was more interesting than the usual sugariness, and the usual sugariness chocolate filling was an unctuous silky chocolatiness, a little like molten ganache, but not too sweet. The hash showed up as a mix of browned sausage, sweet red peppers, and perfectly crispy outside/tender inside potatoes alongside the eggs and some buttered toast. Some people might not be too happy that the hash seemed to be sitting in what seemed to be a small pool of sausagey oil, but I likes me them calories, so it didn't bother me. Service was super sweet, and there were a few outdoor tables and the front window was open. Relatively small space, so check before you go with a big group.