• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A: Plating and Presentation

It seems to me that the ramekin is not the primary problem. The melted ice cream and browning bananas are the issue. It feels like it all needs a bit of lift. Can you freeze the ice cream in a pastry mold (maybe square) and layer the fruit on top of the ice cream.

The other thought that I'm having may not work, but an italian meringue piped into the shape of a container, then filled with the fruit.

It seems to me that the ramekin is not the primary problem.  The melted ice cream and browning bananas are the issue.  It feels like it all needs a bit of lift.  Can you freeze the ice cream in a pastry mold (maybe square) and layer the fruit on top of the ice cream.

The other thought that I'm having may not work, but an italian meringue piped into the shape of a container, then filled with the fruit.

yeah maybe a a square block of green ice cream and a red triangle of fruit.

maybe make a triangle of 6 banana slice and put a strawberry/ raspberry on top of each slice?

it will look very geometric :)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

It all looks absolutely delicious---perhaps it was the heat of the ramekin on the plate which melted the ice cream?

Is it beyond what you wanted to set the quenelle on TOP of the souffle? Ice cream melting on a plate and running TOWARD another component is not quite as lusciously, voluptuously tempting as would be the softly melting runnels flowing gently over the sides of the chocolate.

• 1 month later...
It seems to me that the ramekin is not the primary problem.  The melted ice cream and browning bananas are the issue.  It feels like it all needs a bit of lift.  Can you freeze the ice cream in a pastry mold (maybe square) and layer the fruit on top of the ice cream.

Maybe it's Passe but a light dusting of powdered sugar on the souffle with possibly shaved dark chocolate. Also dipping the fruit's tips in chocolate before placing on top of the suggested ice cream square (or is it sorbet?). A matching piece of the fruit on top of the souffle might help the pairing as well. Although that might cause a problem symmetrically.

Criss-crossing lines of chocolate sauce on the plate before laying down the ice cream/sorbet and fruit, maybe interspersing the fruit amongst open spaces in the sauce pattern and a twig of mint leaves nestled on the side of the ramekin betwixt the pairings.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Maybe it's Passe but a light dusting of powdered sugar on the souffle with possibly shaved dark chocolate. Also dipping the fruit's tips in chocolate before placing on top of the suggested ice cream square (or is it sorbet?). A matching piece of the fruit on top of the souffle might help the pairing as well. Although that might cause a problem symmetrically.

Criss-crossing lines of chocolate sauce on the plate before laying down the ice cream/sorbet and fruit, maybe interspersing the fruit amongst open spaces in the sauce pattern and a twig of mint leaves nestled on the side of the ramekin betwixt the pairings.

Oh and lose the bananas, replace it with oranges, peaches or something that does not oxidize so quickly and adds a nicer contrast in color to the plate.

(Am I opinionated or what?) I hope my suggestions help you out.

I have the book Grand Finales: The Art of the Plated Dessert. I don't find the recipes that helpful, but as a non-schooled dessert maker, I found the discussion of the "movements" very useful: New-Classicism, Minimalism, Illusionism, Architecturalism, Impressionism, Modernism, Performance Art, Eclecticism, Fusionism. I definitely lean toward an affinity for architecturalism which is why I would want lift in that dessert. Its a book worth checking out from your library if you haven't already seen it.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I catered a wedding party that his wife held for a co-worker. These are the dishs we prepared. This was our first tme serving plated presentations. I was somewhat inspired by what I read here. I hope it shows in the pictures.

I prepared the Remoulade, Risotto, Shrimp Creole, Turkey and Beef. My friend prepared the other five dishes.

We used plastic plates for convenience and could only find them in clear, hence the placemat and white charger plate for background.

Photography was done by a friend who is into photography :) She was thriled to take the pictures for us as it happened as the food was coming out.

We served in 2 courses and placed layed the plates out buffet style.

Starters

---------

Celery Fennel Remoulade with Watercress

celfen1.gif

Crawfish Pie with Mardi Gras Cole Slaw

crawfishpie1.gif

Porcini Risotto Ala Milanese

risotto2.gif

Chayote Stuffed Mushroom with Tomato Basil Bruschetta

musbrus2.gif

Mini-Muffaletta Sandwich with Zapp's Creole Tomato Chips, the Olives were stuffed with Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese.

muffaletta2.gif

Entree's

--------

Pasta Primavera

pastpri1.gif

Jambalaya

jambala2.gif

Shrimp Creole

shricre2.gif

Turkey Wellington served with Pomme Puree, Roasted Asparagus and a Taragon Veloute Sauce

turkwel1.gif

Filet of Beef Au Poivre

aupoivre1.gif

We prepared the Celery Fennel Remoulade, Chayote Stuffed Mushrooms and Pasta Primavera to accomodate a Vegetarian menu that was required by some guests.

Dairy, eggs and butter were used as the vegetarian guests were primarily not meat eaters so to speak and "ok" with animal by products.

musbrus2.gif

I've been meaning to ask - what is the eyeball on the lower left corner of the plate?

And here's my question. I recently made this dish:

gallery_41282_4708_33020.jpg

I made a beautiful saffron oil to decorate the plate, but once I dripped it on, it simply ran and looked nasty. How do you thicken your oil to make it hold its shape and location?

musbrus2.gif

I've been meaning to ask - what is the eyeball on the lower left corner of the plate?

And here's my question. I recently made this dish:

gallery_41282_4708_33020.jpg

I made a beautiful saffron oil to decorate the plate, but once I dripped it on, it simply ran and looked nasty. How do you thicken your oil to make it hold its shape and location?

It's a marinated baby mozzerella. As for the Saffron Oil, bigger plate and stick to flat surfaces? Was the oil already at room temperature or was it still hot? Hot oil would be much thinner on the plate. Adding some butter might help it thicken without losing its oily texture.

The oil was at room temp, but obviously was on a slanted plate.  I'll give the butter idea a try.  Won't that cloud the look?

Clarify it maybe. Nothing like experimenting :) I'm not sure what the outcome would be but you could try adding xanthum gum to it and go "Elian" on us.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

• 1 year later...

Great post by chef Tony. Very instructive post on Plating & Presentations. If i may, here are 2 links to articles on food design and plated presentations. They compliment the course well and should be of interest to eGullet readers.

Brief history of food presentations

Plating food: choose your support

Gui Alinat, CEC

chef - blogger - food writer

chefgui@hotmail.com

::www.chefgui.com::