• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Godiva's - Vancouver Restaurant Sitcom (merged)

jamiemaw

Tune into Bravo on Wednesday, March 16th at 7pm for Godiva's, a made-in-Vancouver sitcom about, yes, a trendy Yaletown frat-tratt. Continues weekly.

Their website says this:

"Welcome to Godiva’s Restaurant. This funky bistro is the high-energy backdrop for a new one-hour comedy/drama that’s sexy and under the influence. Set in the heart of Yaletown, Vancouver’s über-chic 'hood, Godiva’s invites viewers into the high-pressure, fast-paced world of the restaurant biz and the equally entwined private lives of the young, urban tribesters who populate it. From the new-immigrant dishwasher to the dancer “this close” to making it, Godiva’s is home to an unlikely band of exiles who share one thing – a need to belong. And you know what they say: a family that eats together stays together."

Jamie

PS--Somebody had better tell Neil that he's cooking in the uber-chic 'hood for the urban tribesters and unlikely band of exiles who populate it. I mean, can't we all just belong?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Tune into Bravo on Wednesday, March 16th at 7pm for Godiva's, a made-in-Vancouver sitcom about, yes, a trendy Yaletown frat-tratt. Continues weekly.

Their website says this:

"Welcome to Godiva’s Restaurant. This funky bistro is the high-energy backdrop for a new one-hour comedy/drama that’s sexy and under the influence. Set in the heart of Yaletown, Vancouver’s über-chic 'hood, Godiva’s invites viewers into the high-pressure, fast-paced world of the restaurant biz and the equally entwined private lives of the young, urban tribesters who populate it. From the new-immigrant dishwasher to the dancer “this close” to making it, Godiva’s is home to an unlikely band of exiles who share one thing – a need to belong. And you know what they say: a family that eats together stays together."

Jamie

PS--Somebody had better tell Neil that he's cooking in the uber-chic 'hood for the urban tribesters and unlikely band of exiles who populate it. I mean, can't we all just belong?

Hmmm.......

Godiva's produced by CTV.........

Vancouver Magazine Awards covered by CTV..........

Shameless plug............?

Being no stranger to the television and movie industry, the more hype about a show( movie,etc.) before it airs means that the scripts are lame, the acting terrible and the basic premise of the show is weak. (and this one is hyped everytime I turn the boob tube on)

What will be the first show? The immigrant dishwasher deals with a backed up grease trap? The dancer "this close to making it" finally realizes that if she were any good that she would not be slinging drinks in a funky bistro?

Homer Simpson said it best, "Change the channel, Marge!"

Their website says this:

Jamie

Hmmm.......

Godiva's produced by CTV.........

Vancouver Magazine Awards covered by CTV..........

Shameless plug............?

Being no stranger to the television and movie industry, the more hype about a show( movie,etc.) before it airs means that the scripts are lame, the acting terrible and the basic premise of the show is weak. (and this one is hyped everytime I turn the boob tube on)

What will be the first show? The immigrant dishwasher deals with a backed up grease trap? The dancer "this close to making it" finally realizes that if she were any good that she would not be slinging drinks in a funky bistro?

Homer Simpson said it best, "Change the channel, Marge!"

Welcome to these boards, Shellfish Sam.

That being said, I rather resent your inference that there is some mysterious connection between the Godiva's sitcom, which I posted as a service bulletin of potential interest to our members, and our annual restaurant awards program. There is absolutely no connection whatsoever.

In no way did I pass judgement on the Godiva's show, much as I wouldn't review a restaurant that I haven't visited.

Perhaps you would like to state your claim, i.e. what reasons you have to make such an inference, or do the honourable thing and apologize.

I look forward to your response.

Jamie Maw

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I agree with Jamie on this one sam.

I think that it was a bit out of line with the supposed inference that he was somehow trying to plug the show.

An apology would be in order.

However, I do share your thoughts on the basic content on this new show as I work in the industry and I realize that producers of tv shows usually have no concept of or grasp on reality at all.

But take it easy on Jamie.

Slag the show all you want but don't slag the messenger.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I agree with Jamie on this one sam.

I think that it was a bit out of line with the supposed inference that he was somehow trying to plug the show.

An apology would be in order.

However, I do share your thoughts on the basic content on this new show as I work in the industry and I realize that producers of tv shows usually have no concept of or grasp on reality at all.

But take it easy on Jamie.

Slag the show all you want but don't slag the messenger.

Oyster Guy

Ditto.

I'm not a big TV viewer and don't have cable, but would love to hear everyone's reviews once you have watched it.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Well I will give it a chance and watch it, if only for the fact that it is actually set in, and not just based in, Vancouver, and that it is about pretty people obsessed with food.

I have been following the coverage with interest.

Sam, rather than attack Jamie/the Hype, maybe we should be thankful that a network is spending the time and money to promote a local product properly. Alot of good shows/albums/books (insert favorite cultural product here) languish because the network/record company/publishing house doesn't get behind them and promote them.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

It is funny to see the quick jump to Jamie's side. I think that there should be a local forum rule that you can't jump all over someone in your first post. You have no "Street Cred" on the board. We saw it in the Heather thread and now here.

Shellfish Sam needs to get his posts up before he starts taking potshots at anyone, I think, anyways.

Anyone with more that 100 post can take shots, but certainly not in your first venture out of the gate.

Not that I think Mr. Maw and his rapier sharp wit ( and fine spelling skills ) needs anyone to defend him!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Sam, rather than attack Jamie/the Hype,

Is that his new ring name?

Jamie "The Hype" Maw :laugh:

Just what I need, another show about "beautiful people" hanging out and not working.

A.

Hee Hee. That was / as in and/or.

What do you think Jamie? Is it the Big H from now on?

We all need a little Junk Food in our life.

With our film industry suffering, I miss playing spot the Vancouver Landmark.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Valid points all, but we need to bear in mind the fact that Mr. Maw is a shamless shill. Just last week I couldn't sleep, was up late flipping channels and there it was; An infomercial featuring the infamous Mr. Tom Vu, everyones favourite hardscrable Vietnamese late eighties realestate speculator telling us how to make money flipping Yaletown condos, and who was wearing a too small Speedo on the deck of Mr. Vu's yacht? None other than Jamie Maw.

Sweater from the Cosby collection thrown over his tanned shoulders, Jamie told us, the horrified insomniacs, that he was earning OVER FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS A WEEK using techniques learned from Mr. Vu. His deceipt is apparent to any of us than have seen him tooling around town, returning empties in his rusted out '76 Civic, (gotta give the man credit however, using that coat hangar as an antenna shows real ingenuity).

Sam, you have a finned brother/alterego here in town by any chance?

And all you open minded individuals might actually want to see the show before forming an opinion, I feel no such constraint. I'll go out on a limb and say sight unseen, it sucks. Much like how I don't need to eat at "Phineas Q. MacCrazypants, Old Fashioned Good Time Food and Drinks Emporium" to know it'll be deep fried lowest common denominator food, with headache inducing decor, the very name and setup lets me know the show'll be horrid.

Key words in the shill release that tip me off are "fubky, high-enery, sexy, comedy/drama, uber, 'hood." And that's just from the first couple sentences, no need to parse further.

I must admit, I do not think I will be Tvo'ing this one, even if it was filmed in the 'Hood.

And, one more thing - God help Maw if he makes a cameo in this - he would suffer the wrath and vengence of all - a mocking like he has never seen with no end in sight.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Well I will give it a chance and watch it, if only for the fact that it is actually set in, and not just based in, Vancouver, and that it is about pretty people obsessed with food.

I have been following the coverage with interest. 

Sam, rather than attack Jamie/the Hype, maybe we should be thankful that a network is spending the time and money to promote a local product properly. Alot of good shows/albums/books (insert favorite cultural product here) languish because the network/record company/publishing house doesn't get behind them and promote them.

Ann

1. I certainly don't think that Mr. Maw needs my help to defend himself from any kind of verbal attack.

2. Be thankful? For yet another crappy show, be it Canadian or otherwise?

Seeing as a portion of my tax dollars goes towards the tax credit issued to them for filming in Canada, I hardly see what I should be thankful for.

3. Most publishing houses, film companies and record companies are foreignly owned and tend to get behind acts that are commercially viable in the States as that is where the biggest market is. If a touring band (big name) skips Canada completely on a world tour, it is basically the same to them (financially) as if it didn't play anywhere in Florida or California. (comparable market and sales size)

4. The last thing I need to see is another show with pretty people doing nothing. If you want to see this, visit a Whistler restaurant one of these days as there are plenty of them doing just that.

And if they are interested in their ratings, do you really think they will be obessessed with food or sex? I'll bet on the sex.

5. I too am disappointed when a record company chooses to get behind someone like Avril Lavigne or (gag) Celine Dion rather than a more deserving and harder working and better sounding band.

It surprises me how star-struck people are here (i.e., Seeing Stars in Vancouver Restaurants and this thread) I was much more excited when Rob Feenie and Micheal Statelander came into the restaurant than any Hollywood type that has walked through the door. ( and we have had quite a few of them as well)

I am not going to waste any more time on this subject as it has nothing to do with food and this type of thread belongs on a forum more closely related to Entertainment Tonight than this one.

I don't mean to offend anyone's tender sensibilties, I am just expressing my opinion.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

The crappy thing about this show remains that regardless of it's dramatic/entertainment worthiness, it's going to make life for waiters in this town a degree or two less tolerable.

Guests will be asking about the show's veracity all the time.

Customer: "Did you see the new Godiva's epsiode last night? Well, there was a scene in it and my wife just wants to know if it's accurate..."

Waiter: "As I was saying, the special tonight is a herb encrusted filet of red snapper on roasted tomato and watercress risotto with...."

They'll be made to assume we all have "other" jobs like acting, dancing, playwright, poetess, et cetera.

Getting your dining cues from a TV show (and this will happen) is like trying to learn about the dissolution of the British Empire in a thirty minute doc on the History Channel.

It will provide the viewer with a faux window into the world of fine dining in Vancouver and absolutely no television show could possibily hope to capture the magic. The only insight the viewer will glean is that waitrons at the high (read: hip) end tend to be vain, greedy, and bordering on the semi-retarded.

:laugh:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Screw everything I wrote above, the mere presence of the abbreviation 'hood in a press release denotes level ten suckitude. It'll suck worse than the steak tartare festival at Sammy J. Peppers.

Keith, don't mean to pick on details but I think the steak tartare festival of which you speak would not "suck" so much as it would "blow", as in chunks... :huh:

(Sorry, I just had a Subway sub for lunch and am feeling extra weird.)

It will provide the viewer with a faux window into the world of fine dining in Vancouver and absolutely no television show could possibily hope to capture the magic. The only insight the viewer will glean is that waitrons at the high (read: hip) end tend to be vain, greedy, and bordering on the semi-retarded.

If I am not mistaken, this was filmed at the YAletown Brew Pub. Fine Dining ?

Semi retarded ?

You can fill in the blanks

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

If I am not mistaken, this was filmed at the YAletown Brew Pub. Fine Dining ?

Semi retarded ?

You can fill in the blanks

Fine Dining? I think that's the premise. According to Bravo, the GM of Godiva's is fresh from Toronto's Canoe, which is one of the country's top fine dining restaurants. Though part of it was filmed at the YBP, much of the shots are soundstage I believe, simply to give it the appearance of a more plush place. My reference to the semi-retarded was mean, but not mean-spirited. I was referring to some of my colleagues whose knowledge of wine and food plays second fiddle to acting class and cocaine. There are some professional lifers out there who wait table for a living, rather than a stop gap.

I guess we're all going to watch the show now, right?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

If I was a petty man, I'd suggest the chef would be a tough lunkhead, loveable but gruff, maybe a little thick. When the critics cry type casting, I'd write a letter to the editor of TV Guide suggesting, no not at all. In fact they nailed it bang on.

But I'm bigger than that, so I won't.