• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Rum

helenas

I like to cook with different spirits and always wanted to try rum.

So when i stumbled on a recipe involving rum in Molly Stevens' excellent Braising book, i immediately decided to give it a try.

I have no clue about different kinds of rum, and the only one i have at hand is Tortuga.

whereas the recipe calls for gold/amber rum like Mount Gay.

So my question if it's ok to substitute. The concern is that a dark rum might overpower a cilantro/mint/ginger flavor in chicken marinade.

I also hope that egullet members will share their experience in using rum in savory dishes.

Edited by helenas (log)

I don't have a specific comment on your question, but my father has flambeed rum instead of brandy a bunch of times with good effect. (He can't use brandy for health reasons.)

Michael aka "Pan"

A dark rum will just have a slightly more molassess-y flavor than a light or golden rum, as long as you think that will match well with the dish, go for it.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

It is pretty hard to overpower cilantro. Are you talking about mint and ginger with cilantro? Seems like such a dish would already have a ton of flavor elements that may not redily welcome rum. Who knows though....I have had crazier things that work.

The last time I used rum I seared a pork tenderloin, finished it in the oven, removed when done, I think I tossed in some shallots, deglazed with dark rum, added pan drippings, a splash of grade B maple, reduced, dollop of home made peach preserve, and swirled in a little butter. It rocked.

It is pretty hard to overpower cilantro. Are you talking about mint and ginger with cilantro?

right. those are ingredients used in marinade for chicken thigs which then braised in reduced rum with reserved marinade and some chicken stock. Afterwards the braising liquid is reduced and a bit of cream added. Sounds enticing.

Will report tomorrow.

btw, Le Gavroche book that i like has a recipe for sauteed chicken breasts with mushrooms where the sauce is made with dark rum and creme fraiche. Though in this particular recipe the only other flavoring element is shallots.