• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Highland Grill, Rutherford

tkrongold

Don't miss their ho-made marinara sauce. :raz:

I've walked by this place, it looks like a nice room & I dig the view out onto Lincoln Park. Still haven't tried 'em tho.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

we tried Highland Grill last night. it's a nice location (right across from the park), they've got about 7-8 tables. service was very good. the owner (a woman, i can't recall her name) came over to ask about food, service, etc. she has never been in the restaurant business before (she owns the massage studio above the restaurant). they've been open about a year.

they start everybody off with a complementary dish of (what looked like) pita chips with a sort of slaw, which was tasty. unfortunately, the rest of the food was very average. first course, my husband had the potato leek soup, which seemed to be missing something. i had the house salad. entrees: my husband had the bleu burger which comes with seasoned fries and cole slaw (approx $8.95). he ordered it rare-to-medium rare, but it came out medium. i had filet of sole with spinach, which comes with smashed potatoes & a green bean/carrot mixture ($17.95). we skipped dessert.

maybe we should have ordered the "ho-made" marinara...

we had such high hopes of this being that great little neighborhood spot for a casual dinner, but it definitely didn't stir those feelings of "i've got to go back there." :sad:

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Thanks for the report. I'll still have to try them one of these days.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845