• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not a Hot Dog

AlisonA

Any one have a lead on a sandwich sausage similar to a Polish(Chicago) or Mett (Cincinnati)? I've also heard them called smokies but the ones I have had are a bit different. They are skinless, smoked and spiced but not hot. Think akin to a bun sized keilabasa if that helps (but they aren't :biggrin: )

Anything like this in the Millburn/Livingston/Montcalir or even Summit/Chatham area?

Thanks. I appreciate your helping out this newbie.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

No clue, but there are a lot of Polish butchers and kielbasa makers in Bayonne! Would they know what you're talking about?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

No clue, but there are a lot of Polish butchers and kielbasa makers in Bayonne!  Would they know what you're talking about?

I dont' know, but I can check. Is there one in particular in Bayonne you can recommend? Then I will MapQuest it to see how far it is.

Thanks,

Alison

Sadly, I don't, but I'll leave a message for a friend who still has (Polish) relatives there. John (the Hot Dog Guy) might also have some ideas--you can PM him off of one of his posts on the eG Hot Dog Run thread.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Union Pork Store on Morris Ave. in Union probably has what you're looking for. There are several butchers in Union, and from what I've heard, the Union Pork store has the biggest variety of Polish sausages. I go for bratwurst and hot dogs. You might also want to try Pulaski Meats on Wood Ave in Linden. Close to Stash's.

John the hot dog guy

I would try any one of the German butchers in the Union area as John has suggested. Having only been in Chicago once, I have really never had any of the mentioned sausages, but I assume the "metts" are smoked mettwurst, which any German butcher should carry. The Chicago Polish sausage however, I am not sure of, and I am 100% Ukrainian! I am assuming it is similar to

siekena kielbasa (which is ground rather than the chunky kryana variety)??? Or perhaps it is like raw unsmoked kielbasa? Anyway try either Pulaski on Wood ave or go around the corner to Bratek's on Henry street.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I would try any one of the German butchers in the Union area as John has suggested.  Having only been in Chicago once, I have really never had any of the mentioned sausages, but I assume the "metts" are smoked mettwurst, which any German butcher should carry.  The Chicago Polish sausage however, I am not sure of, and I am 100% Ukrainian!  I am assuming it is similar to

siekena kielbasa (which is ground rather than the chunky kryana variety)??? Or perhaps it is like raw unsmoked kielbasa?  Anyway try either Pulaski on Wood ave or go around the corner to Bratek's on Henry street.

The ground siekena kielbasa sounds close. I'll look for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It might be a couple of weeks but I'll let you know what I find.

AlisonA

Try Polonia meat market in Clifton, that's where I buy my kielbasa.

(I'm 100% Ukrainian too).

Polonia Meat Market

Address: 785 Van Houten Ave, Clifton, NJ 07013

Phone: (973) 777-7355

If you go to Adam's in Wallington at the right time, you will get the BEST Polish sausage you have ever tasted...but it has to be the right time. March through May is best.

They are located on the corner of Union and Maple Avenues in Wallington..across from the Police Station. The Police are asses in Wallington (I should know I lived there) so DO NOT park in the wrong spots. Ask for the the sausage sandwich...they use pork, veal and mustard seed. It is great.