• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yikes! Alternatives to Dine Out Vancouver restos!

pumpkin.kim

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be in Vancouver next Monday, January 31st to take some very good clients out to dinner. I called West to make reservations and was told that since it's during Dine Out Vancouver (DOV), they don't have their regular menu. Instead they have the DOV prie fixe (not quite what I want to do), and have a very limited a la carte menu (only 4 apps, 4 mains to choose from), AND we'll be booted out after 2 hours, even though I don't want to participate in DOV. I need more time to chat and schmooze these ppl. Can anybody help me out with suggestions for a very chic, impressive restaurant that is not participating in DOV? Closeness to downtown is helpful but not a must.

Thanks very kindly in advance!

Try Coast. A friend of mine just made a last minute reso for 3 people there for tonight.

www.coastrestaurant.ca

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Bacchus for a client friendly would be perfect. As a side when I dined at Chambar on Monday night, even though they were only serving DOV menus, and the website says they are sold out, the bartender said they are much quieter on the DOV night because typical walk in traffic wasn't happenng because the word out there was that they were sold out, when actually they still have a lot of room left, most evenings.

Thanks for the very fast replies! The woman at Coast was very nice. Unfortunately, they could only accomodate us for 2.5 hours. Lumiere is closed on Mondays. I'm giving my client the choices of: Tojo, Cioppino & Bacchus.

Again, thank you!!!

Of the 3 options left I would choose Bacchus - great room, great food and better value than Cioppino.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

While they're not particularly 'chic', for good reliable food with excellent service, I would recommend le Crocodile, if your client likes French food.

They are not on the DOV list.

We were there from 8:30 to 11:45pm on a Thursday, and were told that the table next to us were there since 5pm. You can definitely stay as long as you want with absolutely no pressure at all from the professional staff.

le Crocodile (604) 669-4298, Smithe and Burrard Sts. in downtown, with underground parking.

They also have the $10k+ 1945 Haut Brion and Mouton Rothschild if you truly need to impress your good clients.

Edited by mangez (log)