• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you braise

pam claughton

I love braised dishes, with lamb shanks and oxtails being at the top of the list. This week I've made 2 braises, Coq au Vin on Sunday, and then Tuesday I just winged one which came out great. It was a pork loin that I browned with some diced onions, and then added crushed maraschino cherries and wild cherry pepsi as the braising liquid and cooked it for 1.5 hours at 350. It came out quite tender and then I thickened the sauce with a little corn starch. Turned out excellent.

I too like the Molly Stevens book on Braising. I like that she is giving you the method from which you can then go your own direction. A large part of the pork roast I did was essentially following her guidelines and then plugging in flavors I like.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo