• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restless for a new cookbook

amyknyc

((( please don't throw any heavy objects )))

I know not everyone likes the "Cook's Illustrated" style of cooking magazine but I just bought their latest "Best Recipe". I admit I am a bit of a techie nerd and as such I do love reading and learning about the methods they went through to come up with their "best" recipes.

I also just bought the braising book based on seeing so many compliments about it ... but won't use it until cooler fall weather.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I know not everyone likes the "Cook's Illustrated" style of cooking magazine but I just bought their latest "Best Recipe".  I admit I am a bit of a techie nerd and as such I do love reading and learning about the methods they went through to come up with their "best" recipes. 

I also just bought the braising book based on seeing so many compliments about it ... but won't use it until cooler fall weather.

I've just suscribed to CI. And I thought I would only braise in the cool weather too, but I've been braising with that book on and off all summer, including last night! It's addictive.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am cooking from my newest book American Boulangerie from the Bay Boulangerie in San Francisco. The wild mushroom and cheese tart is perfect summer dining. Add a salad, a nice french rose and it makes a nice summer meal.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I know not everyone likes the "Cook's Illustrated" style of cooking magazine but I just bought their latest "Best Recipe".  I admit I am a bit of a techie nerd and as such I do love reading and learning about the methods they went through to come up with their "best" recipes. 

I also think the new "Best Recipe" is quite useful. It's a good read and great to have on the shelf for general reference... and cheap too!

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Joyce Goldstein's The Mediterranean Kitchen . Even though I've had it for a long time, and have lots of far more specialized region by region books, there's something about this book that draws me in, and makes me feel, yes, I want to cook that!

Edited by anzu (log)

Anybody located between North Carolina and the Union Square Greenmarket should ruch our and pick up Patrick O'Connell's (of the Inn at Little Washington) Refined American Cusinine, which is pitched perfectly for this region and season. Corn, country ham, crabs and shellfish, fresh peaches -- it's like he's going to the same markets you are.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Can anyone recommend a Spanish food cookbook, with recipes for things like empanadas, etc. more Columbia or Dominican Republic or Puerto Rican type recipes.

Are you asking for a cookbook on Spanish food or on Latin American food?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Can anyone recommend a Spanish food cookbook, with recipes for things like empanadas, etc. more Columbia or Dominican Republic or Puerto Rican type recipes.

Are you asking for a cookbook on Spanish food or on Latin American food?

I apologize - you are right Latin American Food. Got any ideas?