• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paper Plates

At the local Share our Strength fundraiser, they use these cool plastic plates with a cut out for your wine glass, making walking while eating and drinking easy. I found a catering supply place that will sell these in incriments of 10. They are top rack dishwasher safe and I plan on purchasing some soon. As long as I have a real glass for wine, I'll make do with a plastic plate.

At the Cornucopia event in Whistler, they passed out clips for your plate that will hold a wine glass, but I've only found these in packs of a thousand at a buck a piece and I don't want them that badly!

I'm not sure if I hate plastic cutlery or paper plates more.

I also have a hard time purchasing a product that is expressly made to toss.

So you don't use garbage bags or toilet tissue?

Actually, I don't have a real problem with paper disposables. If anything I have a bigger problem with garbage bags. The plastic does not degrade well, and nearly every bit of garbage we produce is encased in plastic now. If disposable diapers were so much of a problem, we should have one hell of a time with garbage bags, yet you never hear about it.

Not that I have a better option, mind you. But the idea of paying good money for something that can only be thrown away bothers me somehow. At least you get some use out of the paper disposables, and you can find other uses for them (like fireplace starters as mentioned earlier).

Ok, a bit OT here for a moment, but still related to the disposables issue. . . :wink:

Ever used those bio-degradable trash bags? Yeah, you can only throw them away (duh? they are trash bags! :raz::laugh: ) but at least they break down pretty quickly. :wink: We used them all the time when we lived further out in the country and were responsible for all our own trash -- still do so here for a lot of things. Some things just couldn't be composted or re-cycled to burn in fireplace or woodstove, outside in trash pile burning or "campfires" (and believe me you don't want everything going into the fireplace or woodstove . . . ew! :laugh: ), or sold to re-cycling (remember when they used to pay us for our trash? :blink: ). Those things went into the bio bags to carry to our own landfill, or wait for a big haul to the public landfill 40+ miles away. It's a small thing in the overall scope, but when you consider the tons of trash bags every year it seems worth it to me.

Of course they're worthless for storing your portable grills, sleeping bags, or other camping equipment in. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

At the local Share our Strength fundraiser, they use these cool plastic plates with a cut out for your wine glass, making walking while eating and drinking easy. I found a catering supply place that will sell these in incriments of 10. They are top rack dishwasher safe and I plan on purchasing some soon. As long as I have a real glass for wine, I'll make do with a plastic plate.

At the Cornucopia event in Whistler, they passed out clips for your plate that will hold a wine glass, but I've only found these in packs of a thousand at a buck a piece and I don't want them that badly!

Now those I've seen online and they look very practical and acceptable -- not the same thing as those "semi-dispoable" things I dislike. They would be very practical to have around. Where did you find them in small lots like that?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I can deal with the heavy plastic plates (at other people's houses or parties), but the thought of using an old-fashioned paper plate for anything is repulsive to me.

Plastic utensils don't bother me so much, like when I'm at work.

But in my house, never a paper plate or plastic utensil is used. And everything just goes right into the dishwasher.

I don't use paper plates or plastic cutlery around the house. I have a dishwasher and a washing machine, so paper products wouldn't save me much time. My partner likes paper napkins but I can't stand them. If we break up, his promiscuous use of those napkins will be one reason! :angry:

I do, however, have a strange weakness for large plastic Solo brand drinking cups. I put two of them together and use them for the water I drink all day, both at home and at the office. There's something bright, cheerful and light about them-- and also if someone swipes one, I don't care. However, I run them through the dishwasher and reuse them.

Edited by Tess (log)

For me, there are times when the benefits of using paper and/or plastic outweigh the enjoyment of using real servingware, and at those times, I use disposable items unapologetically.

If the party exceeds 12-16, if there are lots of children, if it's a casual get together and I know I'll be exhausted for cleanup after having cooked and prepared, I'll turn to the disposables.

Whenever possible, though, I do stick plastic that's reusable in the dishwasher and save it for packing lunches and the like.

As for food prep, when I worked as a personal chef, I used paper plates constantly - the really cheap ones that are 100 for a buck. Saved lots of cleanup hassle.

I think there are appropriate occasions for keeping it very casual this way, though I also know people who have major aversions to using the stuff.

sg

If I eat at a friends' homes and they choose to serve on paper plates I smile and enjoy my food - it's their call. I never ever use them at home. The entire aesthetic experience of eating anything... even a simple slice of pie for dessert... is so much more pleasurable for me from a "real" plate (my reaction to plastic plates like Correlware is very similar to the way I feel about paper plates - not quite but almost like a nails on the chalkboard thing).

I don't sue them for prep either. I keep a whole stack of stainless steel bowls in all sizes on hand - small to large. I use those for prepped ingredients and just give them a quick hot water soap scrub and rinse after using but before I finish cooking or serving. My dishwasher is tiny and I hate to waste space for those bowls, especially because they ridiculously easy to clean.

But don't ask me to take real china on a picnic - paper plates do have their place!

I struggled with this exact delema this past weekend. I threw a cast party for a show I 'm in and had 40 people over for supper. I had way too much going on and had no time to wash the bowls and dishes I normally use. They were filthy from storage in the carport. So I compromised and used heavy weight paper bowls and plates with real flatwear and I offered wine glasses to wine drinkers that couldn't handle plastic glasses (not many wanted them). Styrafoam Never!

I ate a a new BBQ place last night. All they had was paper and plastic. It seemed just fine since the brisket was so good.

I don't use paper plates, except, perhaps at a barbecue.

But I do use melamine-type plastic plates (reusable) for my everyday meals. When I cook something elaborate I use my regular dishes. I just prefer the plastic for a couple of reasons - 1) I find my regular dishes too heavy to use comfortably. I think I tend to have less strength in my hands than the average person. Also my plates are Lenox Temperware, which tends to be heavy. and 2) the plastic are great for just throwing in the sink, and washing easily without fear of breakage. (Altho Temperware is known for being nearly unbreakable too).

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

For the BBQ idea...you reminded me of an event I went to and LOVED! They served everything on butcher paper - supported by a resuable basket or flatish basket weave plate thingy!

the utensil was the bread and a wooden chip (french fry) fork!

What you didn't finish you could wrap up and take home!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who