• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat-Free Munchies

MelissaH

I'm starting to think about food for the Super Bowl, when we usually have a few friends over. However, one of our friends is scheduled to have his gall bladder removed shortly after the game, and until then he's trying to eat as little fat as possible. I've been trying to come up with munchie-type food that he might be able to eat without paying a steep price, and so far that list consists of:

*Pretzels

*Veggies

*Salsa

*Baguette

Anyone got some other suggestions?

Thanks,

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

hmmm

bean dip... homemade chunky

baked chicken strips with wing sauce

veggi sushi

stuffed mushrooms

crostini

could do a fat free ranch or sour cream onion dip

chicken or beef skewers chinese style

shrimp cocktail if you realy like these friends :raz:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

baked chicken strips with wing sauce

What goes in your wing sauce? Ours is about equal parts Frank's and melted butter, which is definitely out this year. :blink:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

However, one of our friends is scheduled to have his gall bladder removed shortly after the game, and until then he's trying to eat as little fat as possible.

The wife is right now recovering from gallbladder removal on Thursday--my word of advice is avoid anything that gets, as another thread has it, the fanny furnace going. Post-operative gas will be extremely painful.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

low fat and goes very well with bear:

salted warm or room temp edamame.

(don't know if it's ok for the concerns moopheus pointed out)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

low fat and goes very well with bear:

salted warm or room temp edamame.

(don't know if it's ok for the concerns moopheus pointed out)

And by the times the Bears make the Superbowl, for all we know Edamame will be availible at your corner 7/11 ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide