• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Scampi

pam claughton

Shrimp Scampi is one of those simple dishes that you'd think would be a snap to make, and it probably is, but not for me. Though I cook all the time at home, this dish just never comes out quite right. It's always just ok. There's always something missing. Would love to hear if anyone has a killer recipe for it? I made a version last night with butter, garlic, cream sherry and parsley, and it was blah.

Thanks!

:rolleyes: Pam

more garlic ....then some more garlic .... stupid amounts of garlic

i slice the garlic and crunch up a dried red chile into some olive oil in a saute pan and heat it to high/ sizzling then turn it off and let it....steep

then re heat ...add shrimp turn when pink add white wine reduce.... add butter parsley

sometimes I add stock made from shrimp shells or some shrimp "base" if its going over pasta to creat more sauce without more fat

............one more clove or 2

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

more garlic ....then some more garlic .... stupid amounts of garlic

i slice the garlic and crunch up a dried red chile into some olive oil in a saute pan and heat it to high/ sizzling then turn it off and let it....steep

then re heat ...add shrimp turn when pink add  white wine reduce.... add butter parsley

sometimes I add stock made from shrimp shells or some shrimp "base" if its going over pasta to creat more sauce without more fat

............one more clove or 2

Great suggestions, thank you. You can never have too much garlic, and I love hot pepper. Will give that a try.

try a different style of sherry than the cream(as well as copious amounts of garlic)

say an amontillado or a manzanilla. maybe briefly(15 minutes) marinate your shrimp in the sherry with salt and pepper.... then olive oil, butter and garlic :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

try a different style of sherry than the cream(as well as copious amounts of garlic)

say an amontillado or a manzanilla.  maybe briefly(15 minutes) marinate your shrimp in the sherry with salt and pepper.... then olive oil, butter and garlic :biggrin:

That sounds good too, maybe I'll marinate in sherry, and still use a little white wine too.

Thanks!

I use a little bit of slightly thickenedd stock for mine, which I already have on hand. In your case you could take the shrimp shells and make a stock. Tighten it up just a tad with cornstarch.

Anyway...here we go.

Hot pan...olive oil

add shrimp

toss

add a heap of garlic

toss

add sliced leaks

toss

salt

pepper

red pepper

toss

degalze..white wine

squeeze half a lemon over it

add stock

depending on thickness

1. Add a heap off butter

swirl, parsley, plate.

or

2. Spoon the shrimp onto pasta.

return the pan to heat to reduce a little.

butter, swirl, parsley plate.

This will give you a nice tangy emulsified sauce.

I use a little bit of slightly thickenedd stock for mine, which I already have on hand.  In your case you could take the shrimp shells and make a stock.  Tighten it up just a tad with cornstarch. 

Anyway...here we go.

Hot pan...olive oil

add shrimp

toss

add a heap of garlic

toss

add sliced leaks

toss

salt

pepper

red pepper

toss

degalze..white wine

squeeze half a lemon over it

add stock

depending on thickness

1. Add a heap off butter

swirl, parsley, plate.

or

2.  Spoon the shrimp onto pasta.

return the pan to heat to reduce a little.

butter, swirl, parsley plate.

This will give you a nice tangy emulsified sauce.

Thank you! I just may try to make a little shrimp stock, and see what happens.

Pam