• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in York

Next week Aunt and myself will be visiting York a few times (from Selby)

Allways it comes down to 'Lets go to Marks and Spencers'. Betty's makes her nervous and 'It's for tourists', although i know it is not.

Where could we go that would delight her and not fright her. I am thinking of light dining here .

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

difficult call!

downstairs in betty's is less touristy, most people want to see and be seen in the top room, i prefer the oak panelled downstairs.

tasting room on swinegate (near the mulberry shop) does light lunches.

i used to like cafe concerto near the minster but haven't been for years.

masons bistro on fossgate looks quite casual

also meltons too on walmgate, just over foss bridge does everything from light tapas-y dishes to full dishes.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

downstairs in betty's is less touristy, most people want to see and be seen in the top room, i  prefer the oak panelled downstairs.

I'm with Gary on this, downstairs at Betty's is the place to go - the tourists don't particularly like being sent downstairs and Aunt should be comfortable and well looked after.

David

If you can prise her away from York a trip over to Bettys in Northallerton where Bettys have a new refurbished branch might be in order........also new now at Harlow-Carr and the original Bettys in Harrogate is far superior to York.......try to get a window seat :smile:

If you can prise her away from York a trip over to Bettys in Northallerton where Bettys have a new refurbished branch might be in order........also new now at Harlow-Carr and the original Bettys in Harrogate is far superior to York.......try to get a window seat :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gary Marshall, I chose Mason's Bistro at your suggestion. Thanks everyone else for their advice.

It was a rainy day in York, but the warm welcome inside the Bistro more than made up for that. The wine (by the glass, if you like) was a generous measure and the food portions were just what you need when it is cold and wet.

I chose from the specials board, beef stew with a mash (postato, garlic and i think some fennel- mighty tasty) to accompany it. The stew was rich and hearty, redolent with wine and herbs. My aunt chose a dish whose name i have lost, but is was sauted potatoes, onion and choritso topped with scrambled egg, this pleased her greatly.

The service was a tad slow, but the staffs cheerful manner saved the day. Replete, we caught the bus back to Selby in a happy mood.

Now to see if i can download some pictures............ :biggrin:

Nope, failed, will read the instructions and try and post pictures tomorrow.

tn_gallery_15762_736_233194.jpg

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Pictures as promised, on visit to Mason's Bistro. Formerly a Provisions Merchants, some of this shop remain as decor, see above the bar, coffee tins, tea tins and suchlike

See here for website : http://www.masons-bistro.co.uk/

gallery_15762_736_233194.jpg

gallery_15762_736_94487.jpg

gallery_15762_736_25331.jpg

gallery_15762_736_200258.jpg

gallery_15762_736_270979.jpg

gallery_15762_736_1133766.jpggallery_15762_736_270979.jpg

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago: