• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milkshakes, Egg Creams and Ice Cream Sodas

herbacidal

Queens and Nassau County also has a few, but they are growing rarer by the year. Great Neck has Frederick's, an old style luncheonette that is still known for its soda jerk egg creams, and it's still probably one of the best in the Tri-State area.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Traveling down memory lane. Does anyone still make these "NYC" seasonal treats.

"Cherry Lime Rickeys" used to be lined up in the windows of fountains with 1/2 Squeezed fresh Lime and Cherry Syrup were served with Seltzer or Cola added.

"Lemonade" with 1 Whole Fresh Lemon Squeezed in a Glass with Simple Syrup that was served with Water or Seltzer, your choice.

"Charlotte Russe" Base of Sponge Cake, Whipped Cream and a Cherry on top kept in a Glass Case.

They were always lined up ready for customers to order, drink or eat and enjoy. It wasn't unusual to see rows on display ready for service.

Of course the "Egg Cream" was always popular.

These were even sold in NYC's "Woolworth" and "Kresge" together with another specialty of "Chop Suey" on a Bun.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

He always used as most Fountains have "Fox's U'bet Chocolate Syrup" to which he added to each Gallon 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

That's brilliant.

My grandmother owned a candy store on Southern Blvd. I was just a kid when she sold it, but I remember it. And I remember the egg creams. No eggs, no cream. Ever. Foxx's U-bet syrup for sure, no one would even dream of using anything else. I think the pressure of the seltzer coming out of the fountain had a lot to do with the "head" on the eggcream. Oh my, they were so good.

But the condensed milk, now that's a great idea. :smile:

I grew up on Southern Blvd. Between 163rd Street/Hunts Point up to Freeman Street was familiar with all the Candy Stores. My Uncle owned the "Associated Supermarket" on Westchester Ave and Simpson Street it was the first 24 Hour Super Market in NYC. Where was your Grandparents Store.

Irwin

Just my grandmother's store, she bought it I guess around 1930, after my grandfather died (probably with his life insurance), and had it until about 1960-61. Anyway, it was at 863 Southern Blvd. near Tiffany Street. The building it was in no longer exists. I remember that my first ambition in life was to be a candy-store lady, like my Bubby. :smile: I should have followed through!

He always used as most Fountains have "Fox's U'bet Chocolate Syrup" to which he added to each Gallon 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

That's brilliant.

My grandmother owned a candy store on Southern Blvd. I was just a kid when she sold it, but I remember it. And I remember the egg creams. No eggs, no cream. Ever. Foxx's U-bet syrup for sure, no one would even dream of using anything else. I think the pressure of the seltzer coming out of the fountain had a lot to do with the "head" on the eggcream. Oh my, they were so good.

But the condensed milk, now that's a great idea. :smile:

I grew up on Southern Blvd. Between 163rd Street/Hunts Point up to Freeman Street was familiar with all the Candy Stores. My Uncle owned the "Associated Supermarket" on Westchester Ave and Simpson Street it was the first 24 Hour Super Market in NYC. Where was your Grandparents Store.

Irwin

Just my grandmother's store, she bought it I guess around 1930, after my grandfather died (probably with his life insurance), and had it until about 1960-61. Anyway, it was at 863 Southern Blvd. near Tiffany Street. The building it was in no longer exists. I remember that my first ambition in life was to be a candy-store lady, like my Bubby. :smile: I should have followed through!

Cakewalk:

I think your Grandmothers store was between "163rd & Westchester Avenue located near the "Spooner Theatre" on Southern Blvd. Tiffany Street runs into Westchester Ave not Southern Blvd. Pretty sure she had a outside service window that served Lime Rickey's, Egg Creams, Charlotte Russe's. It used to be a busy Shopping Street. I lived in the area until 1955 and may have a photo of me taken inside the store when I was 13 years old.

Irwin

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Here in New York City, soda fountains have not disappeared entirely. There aren't many, but there are a few. Lexington Candy Shop on Manhattan's Upper East Side and Hinsch in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn come to mind. You can get a comprehensive lesson in all types of soda-fountain beverages by sitting at the counter in one of these places for half an hour.

True, but the real neighborhood soda fountain/candy store/luncheonette has virtually disappeared. My parents' place had a juke box in the back and there was always a bunch of teenagers (I thought they were older and wiser then) hanging in the rear of the store. Lime Rickey's, Milk Shakes or Malteds with eggs were big as were banana spilts, ice cream sodas and Campbells canned soups - they had small cans and a special machine that heated the soup quickly.

Aside from my job as soda jerk, it was my responsibility to "put together" the Sunday newspapers on Saturday. The store sold over 500 copies of the Sunday Daily News, about 200 of the Mirror, some 50 NY Times and 25 Herald Tribunes - also some Il Progresso (the Italian paper) and a few Journal Americans and a bunch of the Long Island City Star Journals. It took about 3 hours on Saturday to put these together. I tried to get in by 6am so I was finished by 9am - then it was off to play ball.

The teenagers eventually formed a club - the RK Angels (girls) and the RK Devils (boys). I wasn't allowed membership because I was too young.

Those type of stores are just about gone - I don't know of any that exist today.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just my grandmother's store, she bought it I guess around 1930, after my grandfather died (probably with his life insurance), and had it until about 1960-61. Anyway, it was at 863 Southern Blvd. near Tiffany Street. The building it was in no longer exists. I remember that my first ambition in life was to be a candy-store lady, like my Bubby.  :smile:  I should have followed through!

Cakewalk:

I think your Grandmothers store was between "163rd & Westchester Avenue located near the "Spooner Theatre" on Southern Blvd. Tiffany Street runs into Westchester Ave not Southern Blvd. Pretty sure she had a outside service window that served Lime Rickey's, Egg Creams, Charlotte Russe's. It used to be a busy Shopping Street. I lived in the area until 1955 and may have a photo of me taken inside the store when I was 13 years old.

Irwin

Small world, made smaller by the world-wide-web. If you have that photo, and it shows any significant part of the candy store, I would love to see it. I have a photo of my grandmother standing in front of the store, with the number on the building ("863") perfectly legible. I had copies made and gave them to my relatives who all grew up in the area and remember the store well, they just loved the photo. But the photo isn't wide enough to see if there's a service window.

Soda Fountains have never really taken off in the UK. There is a latest craze for shakes though (Although you may not recongise some as such) made by blending a varied range of ingredients - The Shakeaway Chain being particularly succesful Clicky.

Some nasty combinations available - but I like the fact some of them are not too sweet.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 1 month later...

I've been experimenting with shakes for the past 2 weeks (in the interests of science!) and have finally hit on a recipe I'm content with. Holly mentioned Bassetts, a super premium - that's what I use. I definitely don't think using a super premium ice cream is a waste - you actually use a little bit less than you would of a lesser quality ice cream. In my opinion, the ideal thickness is that magic point where its consistency is just before the point that it's not so thick that you develop a migraine trying to suck it up through a wide diameter straw.

Chocolate: yield 22 ounces

6 oz. whole milk, as cold as you can get it before it freezes

10 oz. chocolate ice cream

1 pump of fox's u-bet

Add half the milk, ice cream and syrup (in that order!) to shaker. Soften mixture with mixer spindle (I use a Waring 2 speed ice cream mixer, which is identical to the Hamilton Beach.) Mix on very low (and manually if necessary) for about a minute then add the rest of the milk. Mix on low for about a minute then on high for about a minute.

I find adding vanilla syrup to a vanilla shake or strawberry syrup to a strawberry shake is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't like syrup with those flavors.