• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Hi Rob, I'm sorry, I'm not following the stat. I think you'd probably need to do something else, like total dairy, per capita, and so forth - right?  We own 13% of the nation's total dairy, but we're a ghost town compared to some places.  The concentration of farm capital is large, and expanding hotly.  And that concentration exerts its influence on laws in my state. 

One example only - again, anecdotal though it's easy to look up.  We, for example, are the only state in the union requiring cheesemakers to undergo state licensing.  To the tune of 240 hours of official apprenticeship, and required courses from one sanctioned place only, UW.  The sum cost to the would-be cheesemaker is about $3,000.

I can tell you from what little beginnings I did, the curriculum is heavily slanted to large production.  Raw milk cheeses are the devil - a point on which I didn't make any friends among the speakers on a given day, actually.  They literally refused to countenance studies - FROM UW itself - showing, for instance, the beneficial effects of flora on wood cheese shelving.  And much more.  As jaded as I've become, I was stunned.  But I felt I knew the environment I was throwing myself in to.  I abandoned the plan, like many other cheesemakers, actually (abandoned, or moved out of state).

Is the cheesemaker's licensing requirement reasonable?  Not in my books.  How about chefs?

I believe it, like many other laws on the books (trust me - the "on farm" law was scratched from the state, only with the state kicking and screaming.  I know a small, Amish farmer, who had his farm shut down on multiple occasions.  And he fought).   

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Hi Rob, I'm sorry, I'm not following the stat. I think you'd probably need to do something else, like total dairy, per capita, and so forth - right?  We own 13% of the nation's total dairy, but we're a ghost town compared to some places.  The concentration of farm capital is large, and expanding hotly.  And that concentration exerts its influence on laws in my state. 

One example only - again, anecdotal though it's easy to look up.  We, for example, are the only state in the union requiring cheesemakers to undergo state licensing.  To the tune of 240 hours of official apprenticeship, and required courses from one sanctioned place only, UW.  The sum cost to the would-be cheesemaker is about $3,000.

I can tell you from what little beginnings I did, the curriculum is heavily slanted to large production.  Raw milk cheeses are the devil - a point on which I didn't make any friends among the speakers on a given day, actually.  They literally refused to countenance studies - FROM UW itself - showing, for instance, the beneficial effects of flora on wood cheese shelving.  And much more.  As jaded as I've become, I was stunned.  But I felt I knew the environment I was throwing myself in to.

Is licensing reasonable?  Not in my books.  How about chefs?

I believe it, like many other laws on the books (trust me - the "on farm" law was scratched from the state, only with the state kicking and screaming.  I know a small, Amish farmer, who had his farm shut down on multiple occasions.  And he fought).