• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Chinese Dumplings

slkinsey

If we're talking Dim Sum, I like Silver Pond -- which is related to the Silver Pond in Fort Lee, NJ. There's a few other major Dim Sum houses on Main which I've eaten at and had dumplings that I completely forgot the names of, unfortunately. There used to be a superlative dumpling place, called "Dumpling House" on College Pt. Boulevard, but I think they have closed down.

I've heard good things about the dumplings at People's People restaurant on Prince Street, although I have never been.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah, but Jason, have you been to Brooklyn?

Depending on my mood, there are only 2 dining destinations in Brooklyn that I -MIGHT- be willing to go over that many bridges for and neither of them are Chinese restaurants, unfortunately!

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Depending on my mood, there are only 2 dining destinations in Brooklyn that I -MIGHT- be willing to go over that many bridges for and neither of them are Chinese restaurants, unfortunately!

This may come as a surprise to you, but Brooklyn is found on the same island as Flushing. :biggrin:

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

This may come as a surprise to you, but Brooklyn is found on the same island as Flushing. :biggrin:

Yeah, but what's left of my family in this area now lives in Queens and Nassau, not Brooklyn... so I typically end up in Queens for dinner or lunch when visiting family. I really have no compelling reason to go to Brooklyn except on the rare occassion we visit Rachel's relatives that live there, in which case we end up at Difara's or Peter Luger. No slight to Brooklyn, it's where we all came from, originally. My grandmother was a Miss Brooklyn finalist in the 1930's.

There is a place near the Thai Grocery Store on Mosco that has great dumplings.. 5 dumplings made right in front of you for a buck.. Plenty of fresh pieces of pork.. Cant beat that. Where else can you get lunch for a buck.

Edited by Daniel (log)

There is a place near the Thai Grocery Store on Mosco that has great dumplings.. 5 dumplings made right in front of you for a buck.. Plenty of fresh pieces of pork.. Cant beat that.  Where else can you get lunch for a buck.

I had the worst 5-for-$1 dumplings I've ever had at the Fried Dumpling on Mosco. The place was empty and the dumplings had been sitting in the pan for a while. Perhaps the dumplings are better when it's busy.

I'd still like to try that dim sum place in Bensonhurst.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Wow.. Thats shocking to me.. I have only been there once and it was the other day.. I really think the were great.. I think i ate a dumpling that was made like 5 minutes prior.. If i was going straight home i would have bought a bunch of frozen ones.

• 3 years later...

A new dumpling place in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn called Eton has some amazing dumplings. My fave are the chicken. The skins are medium thin and the fillings are juicy. They are not traditional and sometimes offer experimental flavors (like beet, goat cheese, and spam, surprisingly good!).

They make them to order so they are always fresh but there is a wait.

They only sell dumplings and Hawaiian ice. Both very good. I drew them in my comic for The L Magazine here:

City Sweet Tooth - Eton

Edited by CitySweetTooth (log)