• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed Calamari

FatFrankNJ

i have done something similar to melissa's first recipe but without the tomatoes. you won't need the toothpicks if YOU DO NOT OVERSTUFF THE CALAMARI.

1 - 1 1/2 tsp is all you need for most of their little bodies.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

we used to season some sausage and then stuff the squid with that . yea if you dont overstuff the heads the stuffing will expand and fill the calimary . we would put the stuffed cali heads in a deep half hotel pan and braise then on low heat in crushed tomatos with roasted garlic cloves and then throw some sausage in the tomato "sauce" when there done burr mix the sauce with some butter its sooooooo good . we used them as an appitizer .and we always just recycled the extra tomato sauce after a month the flavor was so intence mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :biggrin: laters :wub:

We used to stuff them with a mixture of finely chopped ham and a little finely chopped, pimento stuffed green olives, there were sauteed shallots and onions, too. I could look up the recipe if you need one, but I've made it by just finagling the ingredients and it's terrific. They get placed in a baking pan with some nice chunky tomato sauce in the bottom, covered and baked, then uncovered and browne up just a bit. Yummy!

It's not the destination, but the journey!

I do more or less the same thing Kevin does, plus olives and capers, and cook them with tomatoes. That way I have the toamto sauce to use with linguine and the calamari, with a nice fresh salad, as main.

If you want to have a look at the recipe you can find it here.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.