• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Liver Pate

Dani Mc

You could always substitute veal liver.

Strangely, most supermarkets in the suburbs consider all offal awful! It is not often one finds organ meats in the meat counter. I love calves liver but it is rarely available. Sometimes, for New Yorkers anyway, the suburbs must sound a bit like outer Siberia :biggrin: But today I was lucky and found chicken livers (they also had heart and giblets etc.). Grabbed a bunch and will make pate and freeze the others (as well as freezing some pate).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You could always substitute veal liver.

Strangely, most supermarkets in the suburbs consider all offal awful! It is not often one finds organ meats in the meat counter. I love calves liver but it is rarely available. Sometimes, for New Yorkers anyway, the suburbs must sound a bit like outer Siberia :biggrin: But today I was lucky and found chicken livers (they also had heart and giblets etc.). Grabbed a bunch and will make pate and freeze the others (as well as freezing some pate).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have you tried speaking to the butcher in your local supermarket? They should be able to get you chicken livers within a day if not immediately. I've had good luck this way when I've had to shop outside of the city for whatever reason...Good luck. :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Gotta do this.

A few years ago, goose hunting was unlimited and the nephew treated us with about five pounds of goose livers, mostly from speckle bellies. My sister and I combined what sounded good to us from many recipes into one simple one. It was outstanding.

Essentially, we poached the livers in sherry in the oven. That was with a very little shallot that had been softened thoroughly in some butter. This was poured off into the food processor after cooling. We added some green peppercorns, heavy cream and cognac. WHIZZ! Unfortunately, we didn't write any of this down. (Perhaps we had nipped a wee bit of the sherry and cognac. :biggrin: ) Too bad. A friend of the nephew's took one of the little loafs to San Antonio and served it at a holiday "do" where a friend-of-the-family famous chef was in attendance. He was ready to pay REAL money for the recipe. :sad:

Does anyone have a clue as to proportions of cream and peppercorns for about a pound of chicken livers? Or should I just wing it again and hope for the best? (Hey! . . . It worked once. :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Does anyone have a clue as to proportions of cream and peppercorns for about a pound of chicken livers? Or should I just wing it again and hope for the best? (Hey! . . . It worked once.  )

i am sure there is a recipe, but hell just wing it, you will see with your eyes what you are looking for, it does not take to much cream, ppepercorns, can you ever have too much???

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 9 years later...

Well I make a mousse like paté at Christmas with chicken liver  and I make sure  that the liver is just quickly cooked  in salted water.  Then blended smooth and then strained through a fine mesh sieve , before cooking or baking.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.