• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to create that perfect swirl on cakes?

Dian

This is a silly art question really: How does one create those perfect concentric swirls you see atop fruitfilling marbled cheesecakes? I'm preparing a cranberry(or strawberry) cheesecake this christmas and I do want a pretty top.

Normally I drop teaspoonfulls of filling and then take a toothpick and then just have a go at it. I usually overdo it though, such that it comes out unevenly.

Thanks in advance for responding :biggrin:

Here's what i do on a round cheesecake:

I reserve a little bit of the cheesecake batter itself, and color it with, say, chocolate syrup or cocoa powder and cream. Or you can use a speck of food coloring. I throw that in a disposable pastry bag with no tip, then cut a tiny opening in the tip of the bag. Starting at the center, pipe a spiral onto the top of the cake. Then use the toothpick method two ways - drag "spokes" out from the center, then in between those drag "spokes" from the outer edge inward. Works good with opposite colors of chocolate ganache, too, on a non-cheesecake cake that's enrobed or topped in ganache.

On a sheet pan cake, just make stripes and drag the toothpick two ways in a checkerboard pattern. So easy, but gives cakes a professional polish!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Swirling works best when you are using batters of the same consistancy. Put a few inches of your batter in the pan, pour or pipe three rings of the other batter on top (think bulls eye pattern). Fill the pan the rest of the way and repeat with the circles. Use a chopstick or a knife (reaching almost to the bottom) and swirl- lifting up from the bottom. I don't go for just the visual on the top- I want the cheesecake marbled with flavor throughout also.

Swirling works best when you are using batters of the same consistancy. Put a few inches of your batter in the pan, pour or pipe three rings of the other batter on top (think bulls eye pattern). Fill the pan the rest of the way and repeat with the circles. Use a chopstick or a knife (reaching almost to the bottom) and swirl- lifting up from the bottom. I don't go for just the visual on the top- I want the cheesecake marbled with flavor throughout also.

I'll ditto Karens advice. Thats how I do it too. Unforunately I do think it takes practice to master this. Having your batters placed in your pan evenly/nicely is most of the battle.

I find if you just add swirl to the top inch it is more likely to crack along your swirl as it sets.