• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Cheese Shops (Merged)

Anyone know where they sell "coeur de lion" brand of camembert in Vancoouver? I used to eat it all the time when I was in France but i can't seem to find it here. It's not the best camembert but it brings back a lot of memories.   :raz:

gallery_16561_3734_44657.jpg

When ripe, this is the world's STINKIEST camembert. This cheese pictured above spent a couple days in our backpack as we wandered the GR through the Dordogne. By the time we were in Les Eyzies de Tayac, we had to keep the cheese on the window ledge outside our hotel room, it was that ripe.

Having said that, it's AWESOME.

On a related note, Saturday night we devoured the Epoisses we picked up from Allison. That, and the port soaked Colton Basset which was much much better than I'd had in years past. (Joe, did you guys do anything different with it this year?) Our friends were very grateful.

A.

There it is! haha i love that cheese, I will go to les amis and look for it now. IT IS the STINKIEST camembert haha and it just oozes goodness when left out (albeit, it was 30-40 C normally where I was). I always had it stocked in my fridge and we had ample amounts in our staff walk in fridge. MMmmMmm good bread, good cheese, just good. :biggrin:

....having returned to Vancouver after 20 year s in London, can anyone tell me my cheese (especially Canadian) is so flipping expensive in BC?  I mean it is just rediculously expensive.

Click Here for the sad, sad truth.... :sad:

Many thanks Sam. Makes for sad and painful reading, especially since there are may fine Canadian cheese makers in Ontario and Quebec.