• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

quiz on dining cultures

I scored 7/11 and feel that had I thought more, I would have scored a bit higher - but not much. Since I have never been out of North America, I feel that I did decently. This evening I am going to suggest that the rest of the family take the quiz.

Nerdgirl--I lived in Barcelona, and I never saw people throw trash on the floor, either.

But in Madrid and in many other parts of Spain, this is completely the standard in cafes, pastry shops and bars--particularly those that are on the lower end of the economic spectrum and where you stand at a bar to eat/sip. At the cafe downstairs from me, they sweep up the mounds of napkins and detritus after every rush (morning, coffee break time, after lunch, after merienda, before closing). In Asturias, the Sidrerias have sawdust on the floor to facilitate the clean up and absorption of crustacean parts and splattered cider.

You have to keep in mind, that napkins here are about the size of a square of toilet paper and should be wadded up to be smaller than a marble (Spain isn't known for it's luxurious paper products, is it?). About slipping--this is a strictly "at your own risk" kind of place. The onus is on you to watch where you are going and what you're stepping on...