• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Ideal Negroni

Al_Dente

Nothing wrong with Tanqueray in a Negroni. Though I tend to have a bottle of top shelf gin on hand I rarely use them in a Negroni. I mean, it's not like Punt e Mes and Campari are best friends forever with subtle flavours.

EDIT

I wouldn't suggest it as a go-to, 'everyday' base for a Negroni but St George's rye gin makes for an interesting Negroni. I like genever, too, although last time I mentioned that it was clear I was almost on my own with that one.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'm hosting a few Negroni Week happy hours at my home. I made a signup sheet online for 6 guests/evening and launched the invite to all of my Facebook friends. Asking minimum $10 donation from each guest, all of which goes to Nepalese earthquake relief. Here's the menu:

OMkeWJVl.png

First one is Wednesday. 

• Like 5

Craig - Very impressive.

I made myself a Nolita last night with Beefeater gin, Campari, St. George Nola coffee liqueur, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Regan's orange bitters. Coffee, chocolate, and orange. I don't like the St. George coffee liqueur as much as the House Spirits one, but it worked great in this cocktail.

18341055566_94275d17e3_z.jpg

What is everybody doing for Negroni Week?

Here in GR, bars and restaurants are in, with a vengence: 28 different Negroni-themed concoctions, from the classic version to one with blood orange to one with Luxardo (instead of Campari) to Negroni ice cream to...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I haven't had one in a long time until today. Years ago I thought my recipe was more modified with 1/4oz vermouth and 1/4oz campari to 3oz of gin on the rocks. Lime squeeze. Glad to know folks make them more than one way.

Today I tried the more traditional proportions of Campari, Lejon sweet vermouth and Gordons with a splash of club soda. S'good. Used to drink a lot of them until I had to delay a trip by 24 hours due to overindulging after some terrible news. Campari lost it's appeal after that!

Almost bought the Aperol today. Price is better. Next time Aperol...

What is everybody doing for Negroni Week?

I have been trying very hard not to open another bottle of fortified or aromatized wine, because I simply don't go through them fast enough. So I made a sort-of Negroni tonight at one part Cynar, one part Aperol and two parts Beefeater. A quite decent substitute.

• Like 2

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I have been trying very hard not to open another bottle of fortified or aromatized wine, because I simply don't go through them fast enough. So I made a sort-of Negroni tonight at one part Cynar, one part Aperol and two parts Beefeater. A quite decent substitute.

I've had that one before. Same gin and same exact ratios too. It's good.

• Like 1

Yikes, how did I miss this?

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I would never be allowed on the island to begin with - I just put a batch of Negroni popsicles in the freezer!

Oh, I saw that too, and just found where my girlfriend stashes her popsicle molds ...

Let us know how they come out.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Hey, the recipe is from Gaz Regan.  If he gets kicked off the island as well you'll be in good company.

Anyway, it's wrong to discriminate against Negronis ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Is it scandalous that I just made frozen Negronis in the blender? I added a bit of honey and a tiny bit of salt. 

It's hot and muggy today, and they were insanely refreshing ... maybe worth getting kicked off the island for.

Campari mixed into lemon gelato is very refreshing. Even better, mix up a batch and then swirl it into some unmixed lemon.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

The Negroni popsicles are very refreshing.  At first, they seemed more grapefruit-y than Negroni-y so I mixed up a Negroni for a side-by-side comparison. 

I forgot to get out a plate for the popsicle so they didn't stay side-by side for long:

negroni_pop.jpg

Indeed, they do have a nice Negroni flavor.

More research may be necessary :laugh:

• Like 3

I made Negroni sorbet yesterday. It was pretty good. Soft, as you might expect, even though I reduced the sugars to about 13%.

I changed the ratio to 1: 1.5 : 2 gin/vermouth/campari, since the gin probably offers more alcohol than flavor in this case.

To boost gin flavors I infused a bit of thyme, clove, coriander, cardamom, and black pepper, and added a bit of lemon.

In the future I'll eliminate the gin and try to infuse a better set of botanicals. Juniper berry of course, and citrus zest, and whatever else seems good.

Anyway, as you can probably imagine, it's hard to go wrong with these flavors in a sorbet on a summer day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So many places I could post this one so I chose perhaps the most tenuous. But I really think of it as a Negroni variation in spite of ... well...

YANV#1 (provisional name)

1 oz London Dry gin (I used a Sapphire knockoff)

1 oz Fernet Branca

3 teaspoons vermouth (Dolin red)

3 teaspoons Campari

1 teaspoon simple (2:1 because Campari is sweeter than Fernet)

3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with lemon twist

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.