• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Secret Cocktail

slkinsey

A vintage concoction makes a comeback ... just don't ask for its name:

The Professor, our cocktailian bartender, is having a problem with a customer who doesn't seem to know what she wants to drink.

"How can I make you a cocktail if you won't tell me which one you want?"

"It's a secret cocktail."

"Can you tell me the ingredients?"

"Yes, but it's still a secret."

"Your name isn't Abbott or Costello by any chance?"

The woman holds out her hand. "Nope. Janet's the name. Ted Haigh told me to say hi."

"Ah, you're a friend of Dr. Cocktail. I haven't seen him in a while. He ever finish that book?"

"Where d'ya think I found the recipe for the Secret Cocktail?"

Here's the recipe:

1.5 oz : gin

0.5 oz: applejack

0.5 oz: fresh lemon juice

1 egg white

2 dashes grenadine

Shake well over cracked ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with maraschino cherry.

This is a wonderful classic libation. Can anyone guess what it is? And who is this mysterious "Janet" at the bar?

--

Hmmm... published in the Chromicle... could it be our very own JAZ???

Not sure on the drink name though off the top of my head... keep thinking of something like "Apple Rose" don't know why...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I know what it is, but that's only because I have Dr. Cocktail's fabuous book :wink: Otherwise I had certainly heard of this drink, but don't recall ever seeing someone order one.

Edit to add: JAZ rules :smile:

Edited by Blondie (log)

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Actually, this drink is pretty common to Tiki bars. A Chinese restaurant in Queens that I used to go to with my grandparents during the 70s made them a LOT.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44403

kingyum9.jpg

Its not listed on this page of special drinks, but my Grandmother ordered "it" all the time.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

1.5 oz : gin

0.5 oz: applejack

0.5 oz: fresh lemon juice

1 egg white

2 dashes grenadine

Shake well over cracked ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with maraschino cherry.

This is a wonderful classic libation.  Can anyone guess what it is?  And who is this mysterious "Janet" at the bar?

Not sure on the drink name though off the top of my head... keep thinking of something like "Apple Rose" don't know why...

Nope. You're probably thinking of the Jack Rose. That's applejack, lemon or lime juice and grenadine.

Hey I wasn't that far off :biggrin: --at least with some of the ingredients!!! Thanks for name and recipe though...

So to revise, I guess the drink would be called a "Frappeed Jack Rose Martini"... :raz:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"