• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Gadgets - "stocking stuffers"

fifi

If anyone is making bar cookies or brownies and you don't have a pan with a separate bottom, you might find one of these very handy. I know I do.

I also have a large lasagna pan that has a lift-out corner like this. I bought it a couple of years ago and have not been able to find another. It may have been discontinued. I bought it at a bay area online cookware company that went out of business. I was sorry to see them go, they had all kinds of neat stuff, including the largest selection of tea kettles I have ever seen.

If anyone has come across one of these lasagna pans, do post the info here as I would like to get another.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another thought for a good gadget -- a soft mallet. I use mine when I'm trying to slice open objects like pumpkin. I also use it to mash things. You can buy one at the hardware store for cheap.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Check Linens 'N Things or Bed, Bath & B - if there is one near you.  I bought a couple of the footed racks that fit the half sheet pans.

Like this:

gallery_17399_60_1102285042.jpg

They also had them at the Kitchen Etc.  place in the factory outlet center.

Great idea. My racks fit inside the pans but what you picture here would work as well. Maybe I can get to a BB&B in Chicago. I called my local one and they don't have them.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Some time back someone was searching for a source for unusual, hard-to-find chocolate working utensils.

I had forgotten about this site, but visited this morning as I needed to order a gift for a friend whose anniversary is Christmas Eve.

I happened to click on this page and note that they have some interesting and unusual candy equipment. Gourmet Gallery.

P.S. my friends are getting the copper warming plate. They do a lot of entertaining and this should fit right in with their other copper serving wares.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Need a really BIG stocking for this but wouldn't you love to find one under the tree on Christmas morning (or the Channukah equivalent)?

Need a really BIG stocking for this but wouldn't you love to find one under the tree on Christmas morning (or the Channukah equivalent)?

WoW! I need a bigger Xmas tree, not just stocking, Andie. :raz::laugh: Now that is a fine work station! We designed something similar for my kitchen. So lucky to have my own (DH) cabinet maker. :wink::wub:

I was looking at the OXO mandoline recently (I really want one! and it seems to have good safety features -- well about as safe as a mandoline can be. :laugh: ) at www.chefscatalog.com and came across this OXO cheese grater for under $15. Good for nuts and chocolate also.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

:raz:  This is what I really want in my stocking Santa baby!  http://beryls.safeshopper.com/237/7910.htm?187

Hey! And it's on sale, too, Santa! :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Maybe saying this on eG will cause all of you to burst out laughing, but I just bought myself a microplane a few months ago, and it changed my life!!!  Okay, perhaps I exaggerate just a tad...  But it really makes me WANT to zest stuff.  And it would fit beautifully in to a stocking--for about $12!

You can get a tiny little key ring sized sample microplane grater as well - would be great for homemade crackers too.

The cookware store near me has a great range of little gadgets. One of my friends always quizzes me when we go in there 'What's this for?' and 'What does that do'?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

One of the other women who works in the office was showing me a gadget that squeezes out a ribbon of butter. She was going to order it because she says she likes the butter to be spreadable on toast or bread but doesn't like to leave it a room temperaure so it is soft.

I got out my trusty cheese plane and showed her how it worked just fine to shave off a thin slice of butter which when applied to toast melts almost instantly.

This is one item which I think was poorly designed. If butter is at all firm, it will take a lot of pressure to force it out throught the narrow slit in the end.

I have several cheese planes, some pull a thinner slice than others, and I had an extra one here so I gave it to her so she can take it home.

A cheese plane is a multi-tasking tool, it works on chocolate too.

I even use it on ice cream when I want a thin slice to drop onto a baked apple or similar.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Judith, you must have read my mind...I am wanting some input on the Gizmo Grater because I've been asked to request what I'd like from someone, and I am skeptical if it is as good as it appears. But the OXO grater is cool. The nerve damage on my hands makes any prolonged stuff involving my palms a 'right smart' pain.

Any comments of Gizmo gadjets, goodfolks? :smile:

The cookware store near me has a great range of little gadgets. One of my friends always quizzes me when we go in there 'What's this for?' and 'What does that do'?

OMG, that is EXACTLY what one of my friends does with me!! He says I'm the kitchen gadget queen b/c I always know what all of these things are. What he doesn't know is that there are many (here on this thread, for example :wink: ) who are FAR worse than I am!!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I may be looking at the Gizmo Grater for my sister. She is having nerve problems with her right wrist. An electric pepper mill is an idea that needs to be explored as well.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Talk about nostalgia! I remember these from the 1950s.

My mom had several in the kitchen at home because the counter tops were a sort of green marbled linoleum that was subject to cuts and burns. (House in Wisconsin).

These metal topped, cloth bottomed pads worked very well.

These could be a very useful "stocking stuffer" for a person who has countertops that need protection.

Talk about nostalgia!  I  remember these from the 1950s. 

My mom had several in the kitchen at home because the counter tops were a sort of green marbled linoleum that was subject to cuts and burns.  (House in Wisconsin). 

These metal topped, cloth bottomed pads worked very well.

These could be a very useful "stocking stuffer" for a person who has countertops that need protection.

Thanks for the suggestion of a product I have long needed, but didn't know existed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks for suggesting yet another product I didn't KNOW I needed!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I guess I am just a terrible bad influence.

Shame on me for leading you all into temptation...........

I guess I am just a terrible bad influence. 

Shame on me for leading you all into temptation...........

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You've got that right. I should have never started this topic! That was about as dumb as being a gambling addict and going to the racetrack for lunch. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Or a food addict and hanging out in a busy kitchen.

fifi..i think its been a great topic and i for one would not have missed it for the world....i got introduced to things i didnt know were out there..like your ss mushroom....and got loads of new websites to add to my favs list for the future when im hunting for something and cant find it locally....its been great and id like to see how much further it can go before christmas gets here.... :laugh: ...it wasnt a dumb idea at all

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Here is yet another unusual item that has many possibilities and one which (odd as it may seem) this is the first time I have heard of it.

Interesting idea.

P. S.

They also have the cordless Girmi cheese grater.

It really works!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

On one of the cooking shows, Joanne Weir uses a special "grill" for roasting peppers, etc., that fits right over the burner. It looks like it's made of the same "webbed" metal I've I have to grill vegetables or fish on an outdoor grill without letting them fall through the slots on the ususal rack. Only this one fits right over a single stove burner.

It may be one of the dodabs that come with high end stoves. Does anyone know if this is available commercially as a stand alone? If I use the one I have it will cover too much of the stove's surface. I'd rather not take my hacksaw to it to make my own. :rolleyes:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

On one of the cooking shows, Joanne Weir uses a special "grill" for roasting peppers, etc., that fits right over the burner. It looks like it's made of the same "webbed" metal I've I have to grill vegetables or fish on an outdoor grill without letting them fall through the slots on the ususal rack. Only this one fits right over a single stove burner.

It may be one of the dodabs that come with high end stoves. Does anyone know if this is available commercially as a stand alone? If I use the one I have it will cover too much of the stove's surface. I'd rather not take my hacksaw to it to make my own.  :rolleyes:

Like this?

pepper grill

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It may be one of the dodabs that come with high end stoves. Does anyone know if this is available commercially as a stand alone? If I use the one I have it will cover too much of the stove's surface. I'd rather not take my hacksaw to it to make my own.  :rolleyes:

Like this?

pepper grill

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for, though the one on the show was square and didn't have the handles. I didn't even know what to call it!

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts