• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help for the East Kootenays!

tofino

Will be visiting the East Kootenays between December 7th and 13th (spending a couple of nights in Lake Louise at The Post) but looking for any recommendations in the Golden, Radium Hot Springs area - fine dining or kickback casual - we like everything, don't go to chain restaurants, but otherwise like good food, prepared and served well - HELP???

If you have a chance - try and stop by a town called Nelson on your way up or on your way home. There are so many excellent restaurants in that tiny city it's crazy. I think that the Province or Sun ran a huge article on how they have better restaurants than Vancouver! Let me know if you want some suggestions....

Had a great meal once at the All Seasons Cafe in Nelson, it's still the benchmark for dining in the Kootneys, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, as an added bonus the place is crawling with tree planters recently paroled from the bush determined to spend all their cash, kinda like a wildwest frontier saloon, but with a good wine list and less hookers.

There's a great little place just outside of town in Golden, called the Cedar House Cafe, which we visited on a trip to Calgary this summer. It's truly a gem. I wrote it up in an earlier post here.

We drove out to Calgary through Golden and Banff, and then back through Fernie, Nelson, Osoyoos. If you visit Nelson, which does have some good restaurants, check out Mazatlan, for authentic Mexican, and the Au Soleil Levant bakery.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

If you visit Nelson, which does have some good restaurants, check out Mazatlan, for authentic Mexican, and the Au Soleil Levant bakery.

Oh my god - I lived in Nelson with my sister and her family one summer and that bakery - they got a GOOD chunk of my paycheck. They also used to have good quality cheese available - you might ask if you have a chance. All Seasons is a definite must if you have the time and money (awesome food and wine list). My favorite place (if you like Asian food) is the Rice Bistro (formerly the Rice Bowl), although I frequented a lounge called Louie's alot as well... good appetizers, desserts and drinks there. Finally, there's a restaurant in the same building/room as Louie's... it might be called Louie's as well, I can't remember. Long story short, it was an amazing night - with amazing food.... God I miss Nelson :raz: I'm a bit of a Nelson addict as you can see :cool: