• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions about France

Keith Talent

While at a market, I saw a legume for sale that was new to me. Because I was on a caffeine rush, the simple task of writing the name down didn't occur to me, (at least thats the excuse I'm using). I've googled to no avail, maybe someone here can help. It was a biege/tan multsection thing, looked exactly like a larvae. I asked the vendor about it, sadly my grade 11 French wasn't up to the task of following his info. Anyone know of a legume that fits this description? And if so what's it taste like, hows it used, and can they be sourced in North America?

Three maybe four sections, the sections have the shape and proportions of potatoes, the whole thing is maybe the size of a babies pinky finger. And it did look exactly like a larvae.

Thanks.

That's very probably crosnes du Japon. An old-fashioned vegetable like cardoon and chou-rave. They taste faintly of artichoke. They have to be wrapped in a cloth with coarse salt and rubbed clean, then washed and braised with a little stock. Very nice but not very digestible.

I've never heard them described as "Japanese baby artichokes" here. They may be called "artichaut chinois" or "artichaut japonais", or "stachys" which is the botanical name. "Crosnes" is the name of the village they were first grown at in France. The grower believed that housewives would never be willing to use their real name so he chose that one instead.

Crosnes is the only name, and the only spelling with which I am familiar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks, that's definately what they're called, crosnes. Are they really a legume, and are they ever available in North America?

One more produce question; Why do French produce sellers all sell pre-cooked beets?

American friends of ours who live in France most of the year have asked me why we don't sell our beets cooked in the US.

As for crosnes, I've had them in restaurants in NY and I believe I've seen them in the Union Square Greenmarket in NY, so they must be grown locally.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Any idea why the French prefer their beets pre-cooked? I can understand that its' messy to cook beets in the cramped French kitchen, by the beets are unpeeled and unsliced, which is when the job gets messy.

Once again, I think it's safe to assume they ask the opposite question. Why would anyone buy raw beets if you can get them cooked? I have actually seen cooked beets for sale in the US, but my guess is they don't go over big because we're used to buying them raw. I don't know how often one would want raw beets or what recipes might require that. I suspect it would be better to start with raw beets if making borscht and I have one recipe for raw beets as a cold salad dish, but it calls for very young tender beets that are grated. It's from Patricia Wells and reported from France.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Weird that without exception in France they were refered to as Legumes on the  price signs, and the one guy I asked about them said they were a legume, but the fact they're tubers makes far more sense, they certainly look like tubers as opposed to a legume.

Legumes or legumes? What I mean is that I've always taken the French word legume to mean "vegetable," any kind of vegetable including carrots and cabbages and not necessarily a legume like peas or beans. That may, or may not, be the case. My French is very rudimentry, but the one place it usually serves me fairly well is in a restaurant.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ha! - so thats what they are. Thank you bleudauvergne for the photo - they have been served to me unidentified in restaurants. I worked out fairly quickly that they were not larvae but never found out anything more until today.

Ah ha! - so thats what they are. Thank you bleudauvergne for the photo - they have been served to me unidentified in restaurants. I worked out fairly quickly that they were not larvae but never found out anything more until today.

Just one of the reasons we can't afford to miss a post on any forum on the site.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Oh, Lucy, those look wonderful! I've never known what to do with them other than scrub and eat raw. (When the chef I worked for brought some in to play with, he never did actually DO anything with them, so I had no model to follow. :sad: )

Added my guess is that they are labelled légumes (yes, the generic term for vegetables) in the market just so people WON'T think they are larvae. :laugh:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

If you are in the UK you can grow them at home by ordering from Marshalls in the Spring. They are not very hardy but I have grown them OK here in Berkshire for the last couple of years and it certainly works out cheaper than buying them.

• 1 year later...