• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Sushi Lunch

Curlz

ChefDavid took some pics, which I'm sure he'll get on line promptly;

I certainly appreciate your confidence, but "promptly" might be a strong word.

Lunch was definately quite good. I'm still not entirely convinced that sushi is my thing, but Snoopy kicked ass. And the wasabi rolls (tuna, wasabi, jalapeno, and maybe other things that I can't remember) were good, but could carry a kcik, as Tracey and I both found out. And the eel was excellent, but I'll leave it to the other more experienced sushi eaters to fil in the details.

Thanks for hooking that up, Ev....it was a fine, fine afternoon.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

gallery_23695_426_1102023039.jpg

So the newbie had to take the challenge....well someone today said fish is brain food. I hope so cause I ate way too much :biggrin: My poor husband had BK for lunch and realizes there may be no dinner. Oh well its not his Birthday now is it.

Was great meeting everyone....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

gallery_23695_426_1102023039.jpg

So the newbie had to take the challenge....well someone today said fish is brain food. I hope so cause I ate way too much :biggrin: My poor husband had BK for lunch and realizes there may be no dinner. Oh well its not his Birthday now is it.

Was great meeting everyone....

tracey

WHOO HOO! GO Tracey! I'm quite impressed that you managed to post that, esp b/c you were so concerned about how to do it. Careful, or you may become one of our designated photographers... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

O.K. just a few things about the food. All the rolls were great, I especially liked the Montclair roll, the roll with the jelopeno was good, I could have used a little more spice. The white tuna roll with the crunchy topico was probably my favorite. I do have to say I was disappointed with the quality of the tuna sushi and the yellowtail sashimi. They didn't cut the fish properly at the right angles to ensure tenderness. Oh well, you all know I have to bitch about something.

Company as usual was great as well as interesting. The story of Chef David's ancestors water-sking the Mayflower was funny and of course Rosie, in addition to eating a good amount of sushi enjoyed another episode of foot in mouth explaining her aversion to staring at tall men's crotches.

Evie, thanks for putting everything together. If I remember another thing else of interest I'll post.

Best, Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

Oh God I'm still laughing at Rosie, between her pictures from Down Under and coming up to certain men's waists :biggrin::biggrin: As for the food, I do enjoy Nori, but it definitely isn't a high class sushi/sashimi joint. The pieces are too large and the sashimi is cut too thick (man I bitch like Lou) BUT value for money it is a good deal - barring Curlz it worked out at $35 a head (including tip). As for the rolls - I can take them or leave them, I actually prefer the nigiri sushi BUT I did enjoy the Montclair roll and that will be on my "have again".

Thanks for a good lunch guys, for the record, the wine didn't screw up my passing my written driver's test - STAY OFF THE ROADS!!!!!!! - :wink:

Cheers

Tom and V

I want food and I want it now

There was eel?

I never said that Lou. I said their waists.

Really enjoyed the lunch especially the Snoopy rolls. Didn't think the spicy tuna was spicy enough. But as you can all see there was plenty to eat. We also started off with edamame and seaweed salad. I never saw the menu but now that I think of it we should have ordered some dumplings.

Great pictures Tracy. And thank-you Evie for planning this luncheon.

NOW--did Stinger pass his driving test?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yes, Rosie, there was eel...WAS being the operative word there. :wink: You can see it in Tracey's picture...it's the dark brown stuff with the 'tie' around it. And it's cooked, which is how it gets that lovely golden color.

Fwiw, the rolls that they make there are really creative...one of my friends enjoys the Donkey Kong roll, which is (I think) tuna with fried bananas on top! I agree with Stinger--this is not a high end place, and today's service was certainly LACKING. But their fish is always fresh, the specials are a great bargain, and it's also BYO--all pluses in my book!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Service was lacking???? Do you think that was because we had to ask for plates? :hmmm:

Actually--I will go back to Nori but I think the sushi was better at Kyoto. Also have only been to Okayama twice but thought that their food was very good.

Nouveau (Nobu chef) sushi in Montclair gets raves but I thought they were very expensive and the portions were small. Haven't been there in over a year.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ok

well I still realy dont know how to post pictures I couldnt figure out how to cut and past the URL so I wrote it down then found the right place and typed the whole thing in (all 87 characters) so if there is a right way to do this, do tell.

Just got back from our club Christmas party at The Town Tavern in West Milford...buffet place. Started with a plate of King crab legs, steamers and a dish of butter ...oops missed the salad station hmmmm Went from there to lets see...sauerbratten made from prime rib, stuffed chicken, kansas city ribs, penne with jalepeno jack cheese, stuffed clams and a slab of screaming rare prime rib. Smoke break back for another plate of King crab and some more steamers nice glass of Pino Grigio...actually an enormous glass...lets see the big decision cake table or sundae bar....lets do cake .... American Beauty (choc) Carrot cake and (yes there is an and) Pecan pie with a diet coke of course. 20 ppl total $51.00 per couple, club picked up the booze and tip....I eat way too much sometimes...like thursdays fridays and saturdays

tracey

in case anyone wanted to check this out ...stinger

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association