• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

It's nice to see Betty Crocker getting a little love here. :)

I have not made Spritz in years, though I still have the press. My 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook recipe varies from KatieM's German grandma's recipe only in the amount (less) of sugar, and @scott123 (of pizza perfection fame) also recommends and links to Betty. Then @blue_dolphin came along and made another Betty reference. Betty Crocker used to have some awesome test kitchens and used home cooks for the testing. I don't hesitate to use any recipe in there unless I just don't care for the ingredients.

scott123's link no longer brings one to the current Spritz recipe, so here is a working one. It varies from my 1969 version only in that it calls for only 1/4 t of extract and mine calls for a full t.

I never used parchment and had never even heard of a silpat when I was making these.

The BC recipe does not call for chill time, is easy to press, but as you can see from the photos on the website is not as sharp and defined in holding the shape as some I have seen. I can attest to the flavor and texture being great, though. I wish I could still make and eat these because they are delicious.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I cooked these longer for my desired result, but don't hold me to it after almost 30 years. scott123 has some enlightenment on color (which affect crispness and flavor) above. KatieM also addresses baking time and personal preference.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

It's nice to see Betty Crocker getting a little love here. :)

I have not made Spritz in years, though I still have the press. My 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook recipe varies from KatieM's German grandma's recipe only in the amount (less) of sugar, and @scott123 (of pizza perfection fame) also recommends and links to Betty. Then @blue_dolphin came along and made another Betty reference. Betty Crocker used to have some awesome test kitchens and used home cooks for the testing. I don't hesitate to use any recipe in there unless I just don't care for the ingredients.

scott123's link no longer brings one to the current Spritz recipe, so here is a working one. It varies from my 1969 version only in that it calls for only 1/4 t of extract and mine calls for a full t.

I never used parchment and had never even heard of a silpat when I was making these.

The BC recipe does not call for chill time, is easy to press, but as you can see from the photos on the website is not as sharp and defined in holding the shape as some I have seen. I can attest to the flavor and texture being great, though. I wish I could still make and eat these because they are delicious.