• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for BEEF STEW?

fierydrunk

Beef Stew for me is a dish that needs no recipe, just have fun with it.

I start with some stew beef, brown it, then add onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and whatever other herbs I feel like (usually some ground chiles too). Add chopped root veggies, some beef stock, and then simmer until it looks and tastes good. I imagine a preassure cooker would simply accelrate the simmering process.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I suppose we are just not *quite* at the "have fun with it" stage.

Ingredients don't totally perplex us, but we need measures and times. Esp. with a pressure cooker.

It is the novice in us--a beautiful thing--we seem to be in the minority on this board, as I often have to follow up on our requests.

We'll get there, but measures and times, please. I appreciate your skill levels and one of these days, we'll be there. We are looking up to you still.

Hehe, trust me, my skill level is nothing to look up to. I cook as many pans full of compost as I do actual dinners ;).

I Would give you exact times and measure, alas, I have no preassure cooker, and I don't usually measure for one-pot meals (or anything for that matter, probably why I am such a lousy baker). I would recommend just exerimenting, stew beef and root veggies are cheap, just go in there and have fun.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

At the risk of sounding silly, why are you specifically interested in using a pressure cooker? The best stews I've had were made in the oven, actually. 250 F for several hours melds everything spectacularly.

But for measures? 3 large potatoes, 2 medium onions, 3 medium carrots, 1-2 pounds cubed meat (anything, really). Seasonings are definitely to personal taste, though...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Beef Stew for me is a dish that needs no recipe, just have fun with it. 

I start with some stew beef, brown it, then add onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and whatever other herbs I feel like (usually some ground chiles too).  Add chopped root veggies, some beef stock, and then simmer until it looks and tastes good.  I imagine a preassure cooker would simply accelrate the simmering process.

The critical point for a pressure cooker will be the timing: depends on the sinew, gristle, and larding in the meat, the size of the chunks, and the temperature at peak pressure. I would start with 20-25 min. with my Lagostina (fairly low pressure, not adjustable) and go from there. If it comes out just done, but not stringy, it could be thickened with some cream and flour.

Cooking for a long time in a 250 oven is great, if you have a long time! fierydrunk, I have a couple of suggestions, but no recipe.

1. If you have it, the instruction manual that came with your pressure cooker will likely have a beef stew recipe. Do you have a new cooker or a vintage one?

2. Laura Brody has a couple of excellent cookbooks one of which likely has a beef stew recipe or close variant. She has one vegetarian pressure cooker book-- it's probably not in there :wink: .

3. If you find a good recipe, you can adapt it to the pressure cooker:

-- Brown beef, add liquids, seasonings, and onions, cook on high pressure for about 30 minutes.

-- Add vegetables to taste, finish by cooking on the stovetop, or very briefly (5-10 minutes) under pressure. Any veg added at the beginning will be mush if you cook them with the meat.

-- Use about 30% less liquid-- one of the big detriments of stewing in the pressure cooker is that the liquids do not reduce. If you cook the veg without using pressure, you can leave the lid off and reduce then.

-- Another detriment of the pressure cooker is that the flavors do not develop as well as they do with long, slow cooking. So, don't be afraid to boost flavor anywhere you can (ie well-browned beef, strong stock and robust wine for liquids, etc.)

Having made the transition from recipe-based cooking to 'winging it' (except for pastry), I empathize with your needing a bit more guidance. Cook's Illustrated had a great recipe a while back. Good luck and happy stewing!

At the risk of sounding silly, why are you specifically interested in using a pressure cooker?  The best stews I've had were made in the oven, actually.  250 F for several hours melds everything spectacularly.

I'm with jsolomon. Go back to square one. Why a pressure cooker? Two things come to mind. Julia Child (Mastering the Art....) talks in the sections on soups and stocks about pressure cookers, and says that results were so-so at best using a pressure cooker for either, and the cooking needs to be completed in the usual way. Second, many stews have acidic ingredients such as tomatoes and wine (a must in my beef stews), and both are acidic. Most pressure cookers I've seen are made of aluminum, and combining raw aluminum and acidic foods is a no no. In my experience, a good Le Creuset enameled oven is an optimal stew machine. Good luck.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

3.  If you find a good recipe, you can adapt it to the pressure cooker:

-- Brown beef, add liquids, seasonings, and onions, cook on high pressure for about 30 minutes.

Wow, that's a long time at 15 pounds! A lot of the recipes I've found with a quick Google Search recommend between 10 and 20 minutes at 10 pounds.

If you want to use wine, after browning the meat, deglaze the pan with the wine, and continue with the rest of the recipe.

Best of luck!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Wow, that's a long time at 15 pounds!  A lot of the recipes I've found with a quick Google Search recommend between 10 and 20 minutes at 10 pounds.

Thanks for the fact-check! I was going from memory, so I suspect jsolomon is correct here! One good thing about the pressure cooker is that if you bring the pressure down after 15 minutes and it's not done to your satisfaction, you can easily bring the pressure right back up and cook for longer.

So, out of sympathy and because so many people have helped me, I just dug out my copy of The Best Pressure Cooker Recipes by Cinda Chavich - don't know if the book is any good or if the stew is any good but she suggests bringing the cooker to full pressure over high heat and then reducing it to medium low and cooking for 35 minutes and then a quick pressure release (per the instruction book of you particular cooker!). This is for a spicy Beef and Beer Stew. If I can be of more help, PM me and I will see what I can do - BUT I don't know a thing about pressure cooking - mine sits gathering dust while I screw up some courage!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

THANKS!

We are really into our pressure cooker, but it is vintage and I wouldn't trust the recipes really even if it came with any. The reason we wanna use it is because it has really done soups and things well and we are going to make the stew likely one night after work when time is of the essence.

I have a Le Creuset enameled dutch oven with no cover--got it at an estate sale--so I never use it. Would I need a cover for a stew in the oven?

I do appreciate the help!

Some aluminum foil over the top of the LC would suffice.

What superb luck to find a LC Dutch oven at a yard sale. But yes, you will need a lid to make the stew. It might take a lifetime to get lucky enough to find the right size (forget color) at another yard sale, but there are Le Creuset seconds shops around the country if you're lucky enough to live near one. For that matter, a simple glass (oven proof) lid from a hardware store would probably work, but be sure to check the temperature limits before you buy it.

Another thought would be to make the stew after supper, cook it most of the way before you go to bed, and then give it a final hour or so of cooking after you get home. Mine always taste better the second day anyway :raz:. Best of luck.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Here's a link to a BHG recipe for beef stew in the pressure cooker.

Better Homes & Gardens site for beef stew in pressure cooker

There is a pop-up but if you wait a few seconds you can close it and the recipe is there.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

OK, I am going to consult with Hollis and see if he wants to go for the dutch oven or the pressure cooker this week.

I am game for the LC dutch oven method with aluminum foil top...but need a recipe! Should the oven be set at 250 and just cook it all forever? I will research the web as well.

THANKS!

We are really into our pressure cooker, but it is vintage and I wouldn't trust the recipes really even if it came with any.  The reason we wanna use it is because it has really done soups and things well and we are going to make the stew likely one night after work when time is of the essence.

I have a Le Creuset enameled dutch oven with no cover--got it at an estate sale--so I never use it.  Would I need a cover for a stew in the oven?

I do appreciate the help!

Of course stew is wonderful in the oven! You'll love your LC stew. :rolleyes:

But don't give up on pressure cooker! You can make excellent beef stew with PC.

General directions, you've got the ingredients down. For measure:

Assuming you have a 6/8 qt PC:

Up to 3 lbs beef (can be any amount over 1-1/2 lbs to 3 lbs)

1-3/4 cups cups stock/beer or wine combo (Adding wine or beer as extra 1/2 cup is fine with larger amount of meat.)

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp paprika

1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper(or to taste -- your choice pepper)

1 to 2 onions (about 1 to 1-1/2 cups)

4 to 8 medium potatoes, cubed (depending on your meat weight or preferred ratio of root to meat)

4 to 8 carrots, sliced (or a couple handfuls of "baby" carrots which I prefer -- same as potato considerations)

If you want other rooties in there (such as parsnips) adjust accordingly for full amount.

Most important here is the inclusion of the full amount of liquid for your size PC!

I coat beef cubes in paprika/salt pepper mix, sear in oil or fat until deep brown -- but not not allow the paprika to burn!

Deglaze, add full amount of liquids.

Seasonings as you wish with any of rosemary/basil/thyme/garlic/bayleaf. and additional pepper(s). About 1/2 to 1 tsp each herb of your choice, crushed and dried is fine, depending on your preference.

Cook at 10 psi for 15 minutes, after pressure is reached. Med high heat works well for me.

Cool cooker naturally off heat for five minutes, run under cold water to reduce pressure. (If you PC has different instructions for this of course follow those.)

Open and add the remaining ingredients.

Bring back up to 10 psi and cook vegs for 10 minutes. Cool naturally again for 5 minutes, then under faucet.

Reducing liquid is not a problem for me with these amounts/times. If you want to thicken stew (I don't usually unless I want more liquid added after PC stage is done or if I have increased it in initial stage). you can thicken quickly with a cornstarch or flour slurry.

This is really an excellent choice for the PC. You can prep all veggies the night before or earlier in the day and fridge them. Usual thing with roots (not onions, of course), cover with cold water and keep cold. Or prep them while meat is cooking. Throw together in PC when time and dinner is ready quick. You can also add dumplings to stew after PC is done. There's your bread, and your thickening :cool:

Have fun with both your PC and LC stews! :biggrin:

Let us know the outcome. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

WOW.

That last post took a lot of the pressure off...no pun intended.

I am gonna do your PC recipe, include some wine in our stock and leave the LC for a later date (after I go to the LC factory store outside of Portland and find a lid!).

Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted.

At the risk of sounding silly, why are you specifically interested in using a pressure cooker?  The best stews I've had were made in the oven, actually.  250 F for several hours melds everything spectacularly.

many stews have acidic ingredients such as tomatoes and wine (a must in my beef stews), and both are acidic. Most pressure cookers I've seen are made of aluminum, and combining raw aluminum and acidic foods is a no no.

THW

Most of the currently available pressure cookers are stainless steel with a thick alum. bottom. The aging Presto alum. is still available and often second hand, but it is hard to recommend with so many SS models around. The safety factor has been improved dramatically as well with new blow valve materials. I have used my Lagostina SS for twenty years, and found it to be very reliable, and a real time saver.

You will need to thicken the juice. Traditionally this is done by rolling the beef in seasoned flour first, and the flour thickens the liquid, but you can just as easily stir in some beurre manie (Tbs of butter and flour mashed together), or just stir in the flour or cornflour stirred into some cold water.

I'd add some soy both for salt and for the extra "umani". Goes well with the beer or wine or Madeira.

Personally I'd cook the potatoes etc seperately - they easily fall apart in a pressure cooker, and add them at the end. Button onions, caramaleised are a nice touch. The odd mushroom wouldn't go amiss, nor would some bacon and some garlic. The classic Boeuf Bourguigonne is just that: beef, burgundy (or drinkable red wine), bacon, mushroom, onions, garlic, bay leaf, thyme . Easy on the herbs as a PC accentuates.

OK: full recipe

2lbs stewing beef in big cubes (2 inches on a side, )

4 oz bacon in small pieces

Large onion, peeled and chopped

1/2lb small mushrooms

2 glasses drinkable red wine. If you wouldn't drink it don't cook with it.

Make that three glasses and drink one while cooking

1 Tbs flour

Meat dripping or butter or olive oil

1/2 pt stock

Soy, salt, pepper, sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf

Put fat in the bottom of the PC. Brown the bacon, then the onions. Remove. Brown the meat. Sprinkle with the flour stir. Add the onions bacon, mushrooms, Pour over the wine and the stock.Bring to boil, skim, Add the seasonings (taste - easy on the salt). Put lid on PC, cook for 20 mins or so after the valve pops. Cool, open and enjoy with crusty bread, a side salad and good wine.

I like the last recipe a lot as I like the wine taste in my beef stew...I will have to slip mushrooms past Hollis (though he had his first sauteed chanterelles last week and was in love!)

Our pressure cooker is old. I would say it is from the early 70's. It is totally aluminum, but it was brand new/old stock from an estate sale (never used marriage gift likely!) and the price was right. It has worked perfectly so far and the seal is in great shape, so we'll keep it til it is time for an SS one.

Definitely as much wine as you like. :biggrin: I figure the half cup is minimum. :wink: I usually add more without decreasing the other liquid, but then I like more slew with my stew. Quite often with the PC, if you add the potatoes to cook after the initial meat stage, they have given off enough starch to thicken with stirring.

Yes, please let us know how you do.

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

So sorry! I didn't even see your request until just now! In the recipe I posted I mentioned to add remaing ingredients (I did not specify the vegetables) after initial meat cooked for 15 minutes at 10 psi. The vegs then cook for that additional 10 minutes at psi.

Hope you figured that out and stew was a success!

Judith Love

Hollis did it as I had to work til 7PM, but he did great. The stew beef was wonderful and really tender in the PC as were the veggies; the red wine taste was yummy too.

The only thing that will have to be adjusted for next time is the amount of liquid...it was tasty as heck, but a lil too thin. I added a bit of masa mixure that helped out, but I think it would be better just to reduce the amount of liquid in the first place.

Tonight we are taking it easy with a spinach salad & hot bacon dressing.