• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New bakery since April 2004

maxmillan

It's on 1748 Commercial Drive in Vancouver, around 2nd Ave and Commerical Drive. I had their huge ricotta and peach muffin, very good; marscapone lemon tart, yummy; a slice of mille feulle, lots of cream. I found the presentation very good but the price is what drew me in. Comparatively lower in price for something of similar quality elsewhere. I will definitely have to go back and try the rest of the pastries.

Tried the baguette but wasn't too impressed, but it still beats Cobbs Cardboard.

This Italian owner also has a restaurant down the street. They are opened M-Sat and closing Sundays due to low traffic. www.finezzedifederico.com

I had their huge ricotta and peach muffin, very good...

Dear God. Those are one of the best muffins in town. I just had one this morning... well, half to be exact as they are enormous. And they're also purveyors of the best gelato in town: Mondo Gelato. Double yummy.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I recently ventured into this bakery. I indulged in a cannoli, which I have to say was one of the best- creamiest freshest -cannoli I have ever had. I've had a few and many not so good. This one was outstanding. I also purchased a few small sweets for the girls at work and we tried them the next day and thoroughly enjoyed them. Even the bar that the young womam behind the counter described as a marshmellowy cereal bar; which may not sound so scrumptious but it was! I will definitely be venturing in there again and again and again!!!!

I haven't found other pastry shops that are as good as this one on Commercial Drive. Which other ones within close vicinity do you recommend?

I forget the name but there was a bakery that was sold to an Asian family (north of Frederico.) I use to buy my Saint Honore here but now it tastes like crap and so does the rest of the baked goods.

So, do you want the bad news or the bad news first?

Jeffy Boy and I ventured to Finezze Di Federico on Commercial Drive this morning for breakfast (specifically the peach and ricotta muffin). I'd love to report on our experience, but sadly there is no point as the bakery is closing today (Sunday November 14th). That's the bad news. Now for the other bad news. The bakery is being replaced by a Cobbs Cardboard (maxmillan's term seems so fitting - I can't bear to type the word "bakery" after Cobbs).

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I fear that I might have something to do with this. I started buying my buns from the Santa Barbara Market about 2 months ago. Seriously though , does anyone remember the big flap about the Starbucks opening up a few years back. It was going to close because nobody on The Drive would buy from a big American Giant etc. It is still there and busy everyday. I would imagine that Cobs will do Ok as The Drive ( contrary to apperanaces ) has become less militant. Houses are pushing up to the million dollar range off of the Drive and that makes the area a bit more gentrified as the uber pierced, ripped jeans, no job, save the world from everything can't afford to live there anymore( or grew up and got jobs) :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I'm sorry to hear about the demise of this bakery. We used to live on the Drive many years ago, but haven't found much reason to return until we discovered this place. Beautifully crafted cannoli, milles feuilles, eclairs and profiteroles at relatively low prices, inviting presentation and friendly staff. It's hard to figure why this level of quality couldn't attract enough business to make it viable - the store was always busy when we stopped by. Perhaps it would have done better on the west side, where artisanal Italian pastries might be a more distinctive draw and find a more appreciative clientele.

We, too, just tried this bakery about a month ago. Cobbs strikes again, sigh. I don't know if I'll protest Tim Horton's with Jaimie (good place for families in the burbs to have lunch), but Cobbs is another story as it is also in my neighbourhood on Main St. They shape the same bread in various styles add a few raisins or nuts here and there, but it basically all tastes the same, or should I say, doesn't have any taste, like cardboard.

Heard Starbucks is coming to City Square too. Grrrr. I wonder if they have contacted Gord Martin yet, to set one up next to his Go Fish. I have to admit, SB is a great place to rent a chair for an hour with a friend for the price of one small black coffee. They must hate customers like me. Do you think this is where Vancouver is going? Starbucks, Tim Horton's, Costco, Wal-Mart?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

We, too, just tried this bakery about a month ago. Cobbs strikes again, sigh. I don't know if I'll protest Tim Horton's with Jaimie (good place for families in the burbs to have lunch), but Cobbs is another story as it is also in my neighbourhood on Main St. They shape the same bread in various styles add a few raisins or nuts here and there, but it basically all tastes the same, or should I say, doesn't have any taste, like cardboard.

Heard Starbucks is coming to City Square too. Grrrr. I wonder if they have contacted Gord Martin yet, to set one up next to his Go Fish. I have to admit, SB is a great place to rent a chair for an hour with a friend for the price of one small black coffee. They must hate customers like me. Do you think this is where Vancouver is going? Starbucks, Tim Horton's, Costco, Wal-Mart?

No, because of viewers like you who won't support rampant mediocrity. And please don't misunderstand the intent of the Timmy Ho's thread, Butter. :biggrin:

Believe me, in what passes for the writing trade around here, it's what's called an entertainment.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

:wink: You mean the TH protest isn't for real! As I have family members in a small town I passed this thread on to them as we are always discussing these matters. Unfortunately, they don't have many choices...A&W, Subway, TH etc. My one sister replied after reading our thread, "discussing TH bread bowls reminds her of when she was interested in dog training; like 30,000 ways to contemplate your navel". :hmmm:

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Cobs Cardboard strikes again!

A bakery in the South Surrey area is now starting to 'transform' into a Cobs Cardboard. The bakery being replaced is Parkside Bakery (it wasn't really all that great of a bakery in my opinion) located in the Ocean Park Mall. This is now the second Cobs Cardboard in the South Surrey area - the other is across the street from the Southpoint Mall (152nd close to hwy 99).

I wonder if Cobs Cardboard is doing some sort of aggressive expansion where they offer existing bakeries a deal they can't refuse? Anybody in the know?

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

Apparently the first Cobbs in Edgemont village opened that way. They approached the existing bakery and offered to buy their location but told them that if they didn't want to sell they would open up in the same block and put them out of business through competition.... so they sold.

Apparently the first Cobbs in Edgemont village opened that way. They approached the existing bakery and offered to buy their location but told them that if they didn't want to sell they would open up in the same block and put them out of business through competition.... so they sold.

Very interesting eatrustic!! I suspect Fieldstone's which is the next closest bakery to the new Cobs Cardboard in South Surrey (other than the Safeway 'bakery' next door), will survive just fine, due to their high quality and hopefully loyal customer base. I'm not sure if other independent bakeries such as Straight from the Hearth would be impacted as they are further away...

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

Cob's should try to become the exclusive supplier of bread bowls to Timmy Ho's. The incredibly bland tastelessness of their bread will allow the full flavour of the stew to shine through.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

In Australia Cobbs is known as 'Bakers Delight'. I had a baker friend whose was approached with the same aggressive tactics there. Looks as though BD has bought more than there tasteless breads to Canada.

This reminds me of the that famous movie "The Invasion of the Bakery Snatchers!"

Decent, God fearing bakeries being taken over in the night to be replaced with soulless cardboard replacements! And Vancouver is only the launching platform for the rest of North America. (They have 600 locations in Australia under Baker's Delight their original name).

We have to get the word out....who among us will volunteer to go forth to warn Victoria and Seattle before it is too late? (I'll take New York and San Francisco)

Dare I paraphrase the famous Hindenburg quote as it crashed in flames "Oh.. the doughmanity!"