• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commis Chef Help.....

Richard,

Just wondering what sort of programme you have set in your kitchen?

I'm a 19 year old Englishman who unexpectedly found his true love and passion in the Kitchen. I ve been working full time at a local seafood restuarant for the last 2 years, and although I can do all stations and feel confident, I'm still known as a commis chef as I have no experience in other kitchens. How many commis' do you have on at one time? Do you personally work with them or let your Chef de Parties do that? Have you ever been to England, if so what do you think about the catering and cusine over here?

P.S Any chance of giving me some work experience!?!!!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Richard,

Just wondering what sort of programme you have set in your kitchen?

I'm a 19 year old Englishman who unexpectedly found his true love and passion in the Kitchen. I ve been working full time at a local seafood restuarant for the last 2 years, and although I can do all stations and feel confident, I'm still known as a commis chef as I have no experience in other kitchens. How many commis' do you have on at one time? Do you personally work with them or let your Chef de Parties do that? Have you ever been to England, if so what do you think about the catering and cusine over here?

P.S Any chance of giving me some work experience!?!!!

Well we have a very large program for commis (interns) and cooks alike. Students make a big part of what we do happen. I do work with the commis but my under chefs have more contact with them on a regular basis. For service, I work personally with each and respond to areas of improvement and areas that are progressing well.

I have never been to England but I do know, personally, a few of your big chefs. I would love to visit as I hear great things about the direction the food is going.

As far as emploment options with us, please go to our web site and forward a resume. Also do you have a permit or would you require sponsorship? Please include a cover letter with your goals, expectations and where you would eventually like to be in this profession over the next few years and long term as well.

Thanks

Please include a cover letter with your goals, expectations and where you would eventually like to be in this profession over the next few years and long term as well.

How would you have answered this when you were starting out? Has it turned out as expected or did your desires and expectations shift? How would you answer now?

I can never ask just one question at a time.

Thanks!

rien

Please include a cover letter with your goals, expectations and where you would eventually like to be in this profession over the next few years and long term as well.

How would you have answered this when you were starting out? Has it turned out as expected or did your desires and expectations shift? How would you answer now?

I can never ask just one question at a time.

Thanks!

rien

When I first started I wa about 6 in my families restaurants. So its much differnt than when I started. When I finally realized I wanted to be great was after I had been a chef for many years, even an exec chef for alot of them. I graduated collge and went to France to learn more about my craft. IN those two years my life and views of food changed so dramatically I could never have expected it.

My goals however since that time have not changes. That has been 15 years and I am still working towards them. And I will continue to do so for a long time from now.