• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice lunch

Florida Jim

With endive and apple salad with blue cheese dressing:

NV Alianca, Vinho Verde:

Light, brisk, slightly herbaceous and a bit frizzante; a clean and refreshing wine with only 9% alcohol. Lovely with the salad.

With leek and broccoli tart:

1999 Julien Mayer, Gewertztraminer Heissenberg:

I find most gewertz. to be cloying, blousy or too powerfully flavored for the food I eat; this is anything but with laser like aromas and flavors of minerals and citrus along with the lychee and spice tones common to this grape, very clean on the palate and finish; middleweight and perfect balance. I will buy this if I can find it (Imported by Eric Solomon). Excellent with the tart and impressive by itself.

With torte rustica (shitakes, provolone, ham and spinach in a savory pie shell):

2002 B. Baudry, Chinon Les Granges:

The correct weight and cut to accompany this dish with blackberry, herb and mineral scents and flavors, excellent acidity, balance and a silky texture. Fun wine.

Also;

2001 School Block, Shiraz/Cab./Merlot (McLaren Vale):

Distribution is 60-30-10 of the above grapes, 14% alcohol; not overly oaked and pleasantly, if simply flavored; there is nothing wrong with this wine but it did not match the food well and seems, texturally, to be more of a “cocktail” wine. Maybe the first Oz red I have actually liked in the last year but nothing I would buy.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com