• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in the 14th

Gavin Convery

Vin et Maree, 108 ave. Maine, is a reliable fish house. They have two other Paris locations and all are given the same two forks by Michelin. This place should be a short walk; it's only a few blocks from the Gaite metro. JP

Hi Gavin,

Recommend that you try a boulagerie located between plaisance & gaite on the left side as you walk to gaite toward montparnasse. Dont remember the name ,something like "fournee....",always a crowd waiting. They were awarded best baguette 2004 & you must try their tradition(baguette) & any pastry.The best chausson aux pommes was at BE (ducasse joint with Kayser doing the bread,pastry) I lived in the 14 for 4 months this spring, liked it alot but it was so freaking expensive but i did spoil myself at Gagnaire & Roellinger.

cheers Sean

Last month I had dinner at Maison Courtine, 157 Avenue Maine in the 14th. This restaurant has one star in the Red Guide but is remarkably inexpensive. The menu is a fixed 35 euros both lunch and dinner. A 5 or 10 euro supplement applies to some items on the menu. There are 6 or so choices for each course.

This is a one star where your money goes for the food and not expensive table ware or a high ratio of dining room staff to customers. The tables are not set with Bernanrdaud or Christofle and you will have to pour your own wine or water occasionally. There are about 45 seats and the dining room is staffed by only 3 servers. The dining room is brightly colored and well lit, a convivial not romantic atmosphere.

The cooking clearly deserves a star. The menu focuses on things from the SW of France. Portions are generous. I had a perfect Foie Gras poelee au raisins (5 euro supplement), Confit de Cuisse de Canard, and a fig dessert (figs must be in season in September, they were featured most everywhere I went). With an aperitif, a glass of Jurancon with the foie, a demi Cahors with the confit, water and coffee, the price was only 73.5 euros.

I think this must be the lowest price starred restaurant in Paris. L'Angle du Faubourg also has a 35 e menu but their's only has one choice per course.

There’s not much mention of ethnic cuisine in France despite the fact that certain parts of the globe are still Departments of France i.e. classed as being part of the country.

I have a fondness for La Créole, 122 bd Montparnasse (01 43 20 62 12) a busy, friendly Martinique restaurant between bd Raspail and Place du 18 Juin 1940. It’s not just the rum. The bits that come between the rhum arrangée to start and the vieux rhum to finish are also quite good with plenty of salt cod and fresh fish dishes, with the wonderfully named sauce chien to accompany. Don’t think I would go for the pigs tail casserole again though – bit on the chewy side.

Best wishes,

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)