• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch eggs

NickV

They are a convenience food.

Personally I wouldn't bother to make them at home, myself.

Hardboil a smell egg.

Shell

Coat in really good sausage meat, quite thick, maybe half an inch all round

Coat the sausage meat in egg and breadcrumbs

Deep fry until golden, let get cold. Serve with salad for lunch

I guess you could roll them in melted butter and oven roast them

bad jackel , no oven . bad. :biggrin: you really should try some at restaurants first to get an idea of what they are they should be fried really if your going to kill yourself do it right :biggrin: theres a bar here that has scothch eggs with some orange marmalade and rasberry jam and some brown demi there good but should really be outlawed . :raz: mmmmmmmmmm scotch eggs :wub:

jackel: You live in Scotch Egg territory, but those of us who don't are forced to roll our own. Your recipe is, as always right on.

Hmmm. I have a pouch of homemade sausage in the fridge. It's been way too long without a Scotch Egg.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

They come in three sizes commercially: the traditional Scotch Egg, with a whole egg in the middle; snack eggs, about half size with chopped egg and mayo in the middle, and picnic or canape eggs, about half again. You can also get other fillings: coleslaw, or cheese and bacon. I guess you could use a quail eggs for amuse..

Dammit, I have some commercial ones in the fridge. They are OK, except for the awful breadcrumbs and despite the lateness of the hour I guess need photographing

Hens egg (for size), Scotch egg, and a snack egg; and a snack egg halved.

gallery_7620_135_1097365961.jpggallery_7620_135_1097365982.jpg

thanx for the pics jackle . i didnt even know there were pre fab s eggs ...wow. please belive i meant no disrespect but thought you would get a chuckle out of my post . i also found that its important when making them at home to undercook the eggs a little so they dont turn grey inside also keep the oil very clean or theyll tast like burning :biggrin: much love

I've never seen them with pickled eggs

They are very common in the UK. Every supermarket, convenience store, pub, even garages that sell sandwiches will have them. They always seem to have ghastly orange dried breadcrumbs on the outside. Sold and eaten cold. Very few places make them themselvs - maybe the odd gastro-pub.

Not sold in fish and chip shops though. However Fish and chip shops often sell pickled eggs.

If you are making them at home, then get-in-my-belly (I do like your posts, both here and in the staff meal thread) is quite right, cook them at a medium temperature so the sausage cooks before the outside burns.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Funny, first places I ever had a Scotch Egg -- and they are good! -- was at Renaissance festivals 20-25 years ago. They are a standard there and very popular for the early morning with strong coffee or tea. Served warm (mostly in the morning) or cold later (you can ask for the warm) with dijon style mustard, or a sweet jammy spread.

We can get them here at an English style pub -- The Dog and Duck in Austin, also the best fish 'n chips in town.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

scotch eggs are very popular in Japan!

They are often found in bentos (lunch boxes) and are often made with quail eggs, this is one frozen variety:

http://www.nipponham.co.jp/product/chouri10/oben_sco.html

A lot of the scotch eggs I see here skip the deep frying part and just coat the egg with a meat mixture and either pan fry or bake....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"