• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pudlow annual rewards for top chefs

fresh_a

Yannick Alleno of l'Hôtel Meurice, Eric Fréchon of the Bristol, as well as Michel Trama from Loges de L'Aubergade in Puymirol are the highest rated chefs for the year 2004 according to the Pudlo guide.

Gilles Pudlowski promted Alleno and Fréchon to three plates each, saying the French capitol was faring well, and was certainly the best in the world for dining.

Les Ambassadeurs at the Crillon Hotel, and La Table de Joel Robuchon both received two plates each.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

How long has la Table de Joël Robuchon been open?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Last may, Bux. At the end of the month, I think.

I'm not sure if it's important but Bonjour Paris announced it open on May 12th; Jean-Claude Ribault of Le Monde discussed it as part of a book review that week and Figaroscope reviewed it June 2nd. I assume Bux is counting how long it took to get an award. Pretty fast.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Pretty fast indeed, although a chef like JR is quite a safe choice... (As are, btw, Alleno and Frechon -- the latter already recieved Pudlo's "Restaurant of the year" award in 2002.)

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

JR is quite a safe choice...

Indeed. I've always maintained that a great chef need not be in the kitchen for you to have a great meal in his restaurant. We did the tasting menu at l'Atelier and each and every course was on the mark. I was dining with a chef whose standards I consider pretty tight and whose own criticisms of haute cuisine these days are that it's often too fussy. He too was impressed with everything that appeared in terms of conception and execution. Mrs. B, who was impressed with frog's legs at Regis Marcon's Clos des Cimes in St. Bonnet-le-Froid the previous week, said those at Robuchon ordered a la carte, blew away any she had ever had.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.