• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Restaurants!

Todd36

As threatened, here are some more suggestions for Japanese Restaurants. Caveots are: people's tastes vary, I usually eat with Japanese friends and you may not like what I like.

1. "Go" This is on St. Marks, between second and third avenues. Go is not a pretty place. It is basically a cheap bar-type place (although it doesn't serve hard stuff). The sushi is decent, and quite cheap. As in slightly more expensive than a take out deli. Go makes the best Japanese style cabbage pancake in Manhattan, and some of the cooked food can be quite good. As long as you remember that this is basically a bar with good food for little money, and its open late, you get the idea. (Note, this is not the same as "GO Sushi", the chain). Rumored to be owned by former Japanese pro baseball player. After you have the sushi deluxe for around $10, you'll wonder how they can serve decent sushi (better than most places in town) for so little. Roughly across the street from Go is a bar type place, I forgot the name, their sign is all in japanese, blue and includes a figure smoking a pipe. It's new, and has 1930's beer ads as posters. The food here is interesting and can be good. It is however, very crowded and features very, very slow service and every time I have eaten there, they have lost part of our order. It's kind of strange. It's a trendy bar type place popular with young people that you would never expect to have good food (if you ever get it). I avoid every other Japanese restrauant on this block (there are several).

2. "Lan" This is at 56 third ave, around 10th street. The point here is shabu shabu, which may be best in Manhattan. The rest of the food isn't bad. Rumored to be owned by meat wholesaler.

3. "Esashi" This is at 32 Avenue A, around 3rd street. My favorite inexpensive sushi place, at around $15 for sushi deluxe. I eat here all the time. Good value for the money and good sake selection.

4. "Ushiwaka Maru" This is at 136 West Houston. At this point, we enter a different league. They have very good sushi. In fact, its about as good as I've had in Manhattan. The people who work here are nice. However, they don't really know how to attact customers. I ate here this Tuesday and tried the $38 option this time, which is ten pieces of sushi of owner's choice. Very, very good. He has unusual stuff. As in one of the things included was shako, which is mantis shrimp. He also had, not part of this special, some sort of live flat fish he had just prepared (he pointed out a second fish swimming in the tank in front). The $35 special sushi is quite good, its a high grade sushi deluxe. What I like about this place is that you get for $38 what would be at least $50 ala carte at most high end places. The chef owner knows what he is doing. I prefer this place to Sushi Seki, which is another high end sushi place I eat at.

Other places I frequent are "Ajisai", as mentioned before, for good cooked food, a great dinner box special and not bad sushi and "Tsuki", as mentioned before, for good sushi. I used to go to "Y's Place", which is just off of third avenue, on I think 74th street. It's owned by a Japanese sushi fish wholesale, but it they've raised the prices to close to Ushiwaka Maru, which is better. There is also "Sushi Seki", on first avenue and 62nd, for good high end sushi.

Places I don't like (to give you a sense of where I am coming from):

Yama

Haru

Nobu

Zutto

And three more comments. I recently had dinner at Tomoe, sashimi selection. It was fine, but not noticably good. The yellow-tail scallion roll was great. I can't figure this places reputation and very high rating in Zagat's. I don't think it's that great and neither do my Japanese friends. If the rest of the food was like that roll.......

And if I want to spend real money, I head to Sugiyama.

And on the upper west side, is a vast Japanese wasteland. Nothing!!!

I haven't tried sushi or sashimi at Go, but I've had a bunch of other stuff there over the years (though perhaps not the cabbage pancake). It's reasonably inexpensive and open late, but I don't find it impressive. Yes, if you're awake at 2 A.M. and want some noodle soup, the ramen they make with miso broth, sliced pork, and corn in their outside late-night section might hit the spot. But great food, it ain't, as far as I'm concerned. And their tempura is sloppy, with thick batter.

I have to say that ever since Minca opened, I haven't had any desire to go back to Go. I realize that Minca isn't open as late, nor have I in fact been more than once yet, but I know it's there, I know how good it is, and I can't bring myself to go back to a mediocre place when there's a great place in my neighborhood. I'll sooner try someplace I haven't been to yet (like the ramen place on Cooper Square between 7th and St. Marks) than go back to Go.

Michael aka "Pan"

You've probably missed the two best things they have....the pancake and the sushi (for the money). I've actually never had their Tempura. I have no yet tried Minca, the rumor is that it is good, but its a Ramen place I think and not directly comprable to Go in menu; I don't order noodles at Go.

Edited by Todd36 (log)

My two cents:

Since I'm on the LES now, we've discovered Esashi on Ave. A, which offers excellent value sushi and other items - the bento boxes are a great deal, and some of their apps are really good.

A former upper east sider, we always loved Tsuki...kind of an undiscovered gem, at least until Asimov wrote about it.

I was not that thrilled with the ramen place Pan mentioned on Cooper Sq. between 7th $ St. Marks.

Is Minca the newish ramen place on East 5th? Only open for dinner, right, and usually has lines?

There's also an interesting take-out place on Allen St. just south of Houston called win49 - varied, fun menu at very reasonable prices.

And didn't someone post about a great yakitori place on 2nd Ave. somewhere around 72nd St.? If so, what was the name, because I'd like to give it a try.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Win49 isn't bad, not not worth much of a trip in my opinion. Supposed to be owned by the same people who own Tomoe.

My favorite noodle place used to be Little Yokohama on 46th Street, near 9th ave. I kid not. But the couple that owned it moved to Hawaii.

I'm not sure why you don't like Haru, other than perhaps the atmosphere. I've always found their sushi to be terrific. I did overhear one person say, "I used to love Haru, but then I found out it was owned by the white guys that own Ollie and Carmines."

I'm not sure why you don't like Haru, other than perhaps the atmosphere.  I've always found their sushi to be terrific.  I did overhear one person say, "I used to love Haru, but then I found out it was owned by the white guys that own Ollie and Carmines."

Haru has been owned for the last several years by Benihana. Check out their web site, www.benihana.com

I don't like Haru because they serve edible sushi at inflated prices. It's also American style sushi, not Japanese. I also don't eat at Benihana......

I would suggest Nadaman Hakubai in the Kitano Hotel. Very underpublisized, but excellent nontheless. Very authentic.

I have not eaten there, and I have heard mixed things about it. They may have changed chefs recently, as I have been hearing more positive things recently and I ran into a chef from there last week, and he said he was new. Their price for Kaiseki dinners is about the same as Sugiyama, and since I like Sugiyama.... I also hear very mixed things about Kai, it serves similar food, some people like it and some do not.

I recently got some gossip on Masa, the $300 version. At least some Japanese think they serve too much food, which matches the NYT review, and the place is designed to impress through quantity.

I was not that thrilled with the ramen place Pan mentioned on Cooper Sq. between 7th $ St. Marks. 

Is Minca the newish ramen place on East 5th?  Only open for dinner, right, and usually has lines?

Yep. And thanks for the heads-up on the ramen place on Cooper Sq. Maybe I won't go there.

Todd, I used to go to Go mainly to have tempura soba or something, just because I felt like having some late-night noodle soup.

Michael aka "Pan"

Don't forget Uminoie:

Uminoie serves an idiosyncratic blend of food cooked in the style of Goto Island, west of Nagasaki, where Ms. Tanaka grew up, and in the style of Ms. Okui's mother, who is from Tokyo. Goto's cuisine is distinguished by the use of ago-dashi, a broth made by briefly simmering dried flying fish, in lieu of ichiban-dashi, the dried bonito and kelp stock commonly used in Japanese cooking.

Uminoie (Peter Meehan) (from the New York Times DIGEST update for Wednesday, 15 September 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

Don't forget Uminoie:

Uminoie (Peter Meehan) (from the New York Times DIGEST update for Wednesday, 15 September 2004.  Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

There are a number of bona fide Japanese bars in town, mostly around 43rd and Second Avenue, that serve interesting food. The catch is that they tend to be Japanese speaking only, with no English menus and no English speaking customers. Uminoie might be a more accesable kind of place, I haven't been there yet. For an example of a place like I mean, there is one on I think it's 53rd street (it's the street the south side of the Lipstick building is on), between second and third avenues, midway down on the south side of the block, up a short flight of stairs from the street.

Don't forget Uminoie:

Uminoie (Peter Meehan) (from the New York Times DIGEST update for Wednesday, 15 September 2004.  Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

That place sounds fun! Have you been there? Also, what can you tell us about Peter Meehan? I'm unfamiliar with that name. What's his main gig?

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, Todd, for the rundown of your favorites!

Has anyone eaten at Katsuhama, the tonkatsu-ya on 47th?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Not in several years, but it was fine then.

hey yeah, katsuhama is pretty darn good for solid katsu curry and udon fare. about sushi, you guys have to try poke in ues. it is our new favorite and reasonable too. we've been back six times in a month-- both the nigiri and maki are to die for. we also love japonica in union square. both these restaurants are in my humble opinion much better than tomoe, yama, haru, go, etc. also, bond street has amazing yellowtail.

thanks all for some great ideas - so many places to go to.

Two places that I love - first one is rai rai ken - its a ramen shop on 10th btw 2nd and 1st ave - most of you have probably tried it but i just keep going back there - the ramen has a distinctive flavor and brings a smile to my face every time.

The other place is tab toe sushi on 5th street btw B & C - its real real small but a great place - basicly i shouldn't even talk about it because if too many people find out about it they will probably close down (its a family operation - if it gets too crowded - which is very easy then they usualy close for the night) - sushi tastes very good - and the free salads that come with some of the sushi dishes are a meal in themselves (tuna tataki with lots of greens and cold soba noodles as one example).

Happy eating!

I'd also add Japonica (University & 11th St.) to any best-of-Japanese list. I've been going there for years and I've found it to be reliable, with super-fresh, beautiful fish and attentive service. It's off the radar of some guidebooks. I don't know why, except maybe that it's more of a neighborhood joint than a trendy spot. I saw Ed Koch dining there about a year ago. (Just a factoid, not an argument for or against the restaurant!) The main downside is that it's priced on the high side, so I save it for special treats.

I'm surprised that you don't like Yama, Todd, although that's your prerogative. I like their sashimi and rolls very much, although I hate the atmosphere (wait 30 minutes min. for a table only to sit elbow-to-elbow with yuppies on their cellphones). I was delighted when they started takeout service a few months ago, so I can pick up my sushi fix and eat in the comfort of my own apartment!

I'd also add Japonica (University & 11th St.) to any best-of-Japanese list.

I'm surprised that you don't like Yama, Todd, although that's your prerogative. I like their sashimi and rolls very much, although I hate the atmosphere (wait 30 minutes min. for a table only to sit elbow-to-elbow with yuppies on their cellphones). I was delighted when they started takeout service a few months ago, so I can pick up my sushi fix and eat in the comfort of my own apartment!

I think both Yama and Japonica are at best just okay. Sushi is meant to be eaten in one bite. Their fist-size pieces are obnoxious and there's not much in the way of knife skills shown. Japonica's fish is very fresh but for its price there are better places to go. If feel the same way about Tomoe and Koi. Yama I don't really like at all -- same giant pieces but the fish is just average IMO.

On non-sushi places, has anyone been to either Forbidden City or Kasadela (both in EV)? I've been hearing good things...

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Has anyone eaten at Katsuhama, the tonkatsu-ya on 47th?

I love Katsuhama curry! Their tonkatsu is good and okay, but their curry is great! I love it!!

For Ramen, I will go for Minca. I haven't been there for such a long time. It's time for me to eat Ramen very soon!

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu