• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How many ways to open a jar...

Carrot Top

I do the knife banging with a butter knife, whack it on the counter, running it under hot water, and then hand it over to my living, breathing jar opener. I have fibromyalgia and my hands hurt. Some days I can't get the jars open by myself. I have even wrapped a towel over the lid to get leverage. Sometimes that will work.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

I typically put the jar down, curse at it profusely for a while until its morale is broken, then wrap a dish towel around the lid and open it.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

My mom swears by this gadget:

The Jar Pop

It breaks the seal without having to use a knife to do so.

She liked it so much one Christmas she gave them as stocking stuffers to anyone and everyone she could.

They probably can be found at any Bed, Bath & Beyond-type store.

This is the very thing. Available at Lakeland Plastics in Englandland, it breaks the seal with no fuss at all. buy one today.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Here's my serious suggestion (I was just joking about the bodybuilding!):

Hold the recalitrant lid under the hottest running water you can stand, then have at it with one of those rubber thingies or a handy dish towel. Someone told me that the heat from the water causes the metal molecules in the lid to move a little farther from each other and thus loosens the lid.

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I'll tell you what bothers me about those rubber thingies though.

The color.

I've never seen them except in pig-tongue pink. :huh:

And they are textured, aren't they? :unsure:

I have a sort of shocked memory of opening a kitchen drawer somewhere and seeing one stuck in the back...old and battered and somewhat gooey.

Frightened me half to death! :blink:

Maybe if someone came along and made them in 'cool' colors..... :laugh:

The color.

I have a sort of shocked memory of opening a kitchen drawer somewhere and seeing one stuck in the back...old and battered and somewhat gooey.

Hmmm, my parents have a ribbed green one, so there is hope.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Yoga. It's all in the breath. :shock:

Funny episode a couple years ago when my hands began bothering me. I complained to my doctor, 20 year younger male, that I was having trouble opening baby food jars of meat for my aged cats. He replied he couldn't open them either. I left him, unsure whether it was his lack of empathy or practical suggestions.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

The color.

Mine is white w/an orange Aetna logo. It was a health fair giveaway.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Mine is white w/an orange Aetna logo.  It was a health fair giveaway.

Thank goodness for small touches of style in our daily lives.

You are giving me hope, bloviatrix. :wink:

But I am still hoping that some enterprising eGulleter will decide to manufacture these (very inexpensively made!) items in bright colors and market them to fancy food stores at some exorbitant price.

I'd buy it! :biggrin:

I'm all for going to the root of the problem, not to the symptoms: Your hands are too weak to break the seals of some jars............so why not strengthen them? One doesn't have to go all out for bodybuilding: Rubber balls to squeeze will increase your hand strength.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I'm all for going to the root of the problem, not to the symptoms: Your hands are too weak to break the seals of some jars............so why not strengthen them?  One doesn't have to go all out for bodybuilding: Rubber balls to squeeze will increase your hand strength.

Although hand strength is part of the problem, if you're trying to open a big jar and you've got small hands you're stuck.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The color.

Mine is lemon yellow. Not exactly a "cool" color but at least it's not pink! :raz:

And it is textured. I think that's what provides the grip that my slippery fingers don't have. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What intelligent people you all are! We now have fifteen ways to open a jar, plus the ideas of getting a doorman, doing yoga, squeezing rubber balls in my hands, becoming a lady bodybuilder and flying Toliver around the country to help.

Keep the ideas coming. I think we need to write The Compleat Compendium of Jar Openings....

I'm with bloviatrix. I'm not even five feet tall, and my hands are very small. My husband never seems to be home when I run into jar problems, and I get frustrated easily! I have been known to wander outside in search of neighbors, strangers, whoever. Once when I lived in an apartment building I accosted a UPS guy who was delivering in our building. One look at me, HUGELY pregnant with a tear-streaked face and a recalcitrant pickle jar (how cliche) and he knew enough not to laugh.

Oh, and my rubber jar opener was red and from Aid Association for Lutherans. Every now and then it surfaces, but only when I don't need it.

Edited by RSincere (log)
Rachel Sincere

Here's my serious suggestion (I was just joking about the bodybuilding!):

Hold the recalitrant lid under the hottest running water you can stand, then have at it with one of those rubber thingies or a handy dish towel. Someone told me that the heat from the water causes the metal molecules in the lid to move a little farther from each other and thus loosens the lid.

It's true. Metal has a greater rate of thermal expansion than glass, when you run it under hot water the lid expands more than the glass jar. Similarly, when it's cold the metal lid contracts more than the glass, which is why jars from the fridge are so hard to open. :raz:

Mine's white, sort of shaped like an odd flower. Strange looking, but it does the job well.

Though I use the run-it-under-hot-water trick more often than not. Even with tiny hands, I can open pretty much any jar. :cool:

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne