• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vietnamese (I think) convex iron pan

Hi folks. I recently saw a pan at a Vietnamese grocery store in boston and I haven't had any luck finding out what it's called and what it's used for. The pan is cast iron and about 12" in diameter. It has a short rim and is dome-shaped, rising several inches in the center. I can't picture it exactly in my mind, but I think it had ridges of some sort. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm

curious about how it is used. Perhaps for some sort of crepe?

michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Are you sure it's a Vietnamese product?  It sounds very much like the thing often used for grilling Korean bul go kee or kalbi over a fire or charcoal.

You're right, silly me. Didn't think to search for Korean products since the store was 95% Vietnamese stuff.

reverse wok

Now that I've raised (or re-raised) the subject of the reverse wok, what do people think of them for stovetop use? Would they better than a regular flat grill pan for kalbi, for example?

Get an earthenware pot with an opening of the same diameter, fill it with hot coals, then stick the reverse wok on top, and then you would just stick it on the table.... with some blocks of wood under it. If you put it on the stove only one person could use it and that's no fun.

In Korea, traditional restaurants put it over a big ceramic pot full of coals, inserted into a hole in the middle of the table. But these days you're more likely to see it on a tabletop butane cooker like the one lower down on this page: http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/glowmast.htm

The advantage of having it on the table is that everyone can cook their meat together as they eat it. Korean BBQ tastes best hot off the fire.

For stovetop, a grill pan would work fine.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

You're right, silly me. Didn't think to search for Korean products since the store was 95% Vietnamese stuff.

..... Would they better than a regular flat grill pan for kalbi, for example?

I think Vietnamese may use the same grill pan to make their charboiled beef/pork too. I have one that actually has open slits on the dome. Fire from the stove can flame up through the slits on to the meat. I use it to charboil beef slices marinated with shallot, lemon grass, fish sauce, lime juice -- a Vietnamese style. I have been to Vietnamese restaurants which offer beef in 7 courses. They also use similar dome-shape grills for cooking the beef.

The dome shape is a very good design because it drains off the fluid from the beef/pork/meat while grilling. This is important because it keeps the meats dry and their surfaces will caramelize better. With a flat grill pan, it doesn't drain as well.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

One with slits, now that sounds interesting. I was imaginging using a regular one outside over a cast iron pot of heated coals, but then I began to question what the point would be. If the pan was of solid construction, none of the flavour from the coals/flames would reach the food anyway, so the fuel source doesn't seem to matter, except for perhaps aroma. Slits seem to be the answer and I'll definitely keep my eyes out for one. Perhaps it could be placed on top of a chimney starter full of hot coals.