• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Beach Island

Lreda

Sorry folks, I'm still having trouble navigating this new set-up and can't find the bloody search function. As usual, it's time for my annual vacation in LBI. I cook at home most nights for between 2-8 people over a 12 day period except for 3-4 days. We like the Engleside for sushi ( I've got my limits on vacation but buying raw fish in late Sept- early Oct to make sushi doesn't appeal to me and I'm not bring a rice steamer) but find nothing decent to eat on the Island. I've got reservations at Sweet Vidalia on the Saturdays that we're there but don't know what little gem I might not know about.

Thanks, Lou

Lou:

Sweet Vidalia is quite good. I had dinner there in June and it was definitely a bit nicer than I'd expected. The liquor store is conveniently located right across the street too, so that helps.

I've heard good things about Plantation, but not been. It's on the site of the dearly departed Owl Tree. Owners are the same as the Moshulu here in Philly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just had dinner at the plantation last week. a bit pricey but worth it for a nice night out especially if your kickin' it on vacation. Started with lobster bisque (very good) and had a (barely) pan-seared tuna with fried sticky rice cakes, boc choy with a sweet wasabi sauce that was stellar. Service was great too.

I was talking to one of the locals and it was pretty scandalous around Harvey Cedars when the owl tree sold to the new owners. Apparently there were a lot of hard feelings that they were catering to the "upscale" set that has been taking hold in the north end of LBI during the past several years. The owl tree was very popular with the locals because you could get a big heaping bowl of seafood and pasta at the bar as an early bird special for just $4. New owners have since eliminated these bargains.

Anyways, I highly recommend plantation. Dinner for 2 including tip ran about $100.

Harvey Cedars Seafood Company is pretty good too. byo and cash only. right next to plantation.

Mud City Crab House right off the island in Manahawkin is fun. Bring mosquito repellent and a lot of beer/wine. The wait is long but you can buy apps while you wait and eat them on one of the many picnic tables out front.

Oh yeah, finally hit the Custard Hut this year. Great soft serve.

Hope this helps - enjoy your vacation.

jjeff.

Just had dinner at the plantation last week. a bit pricey but worth it for a nice night out especially if your kickin' it on vacation. Started with lobster bisque (very good) and had a (barely) pan-seared tuna with fried sticky rice cakes, boc choy with a sweet wasabi sauce that was stellar. Service was great too.

I was talking to one of the locals and it was pretty scandalous around Harvey Cedars when the owl tree sold to the new owners. Apparently there were a lot of hard feelings that they were catering to the "upscale" set that has been taking hold in the north end of LBI during the past several years. The owl tree was very popular with the locals because you could get a big heaping bowl of seafood and pasta at the bar as an early bird special for just $4. New owners have since eliminated these bargains.

Anyways, I highly recommend plantation. Dinner for 2 including tip ran about $100.

Harvey Cedars Seafood Company is pretty good too. byo and cash only. right next to plantation.

Mud City Crab House right off the island in Manahawkin is fun. Bring mosquito repellent and a lot of beer/wine. The wait is long but you can buy apps while you wait and eat them on one of the many picnic tables out front. 

Oh yeah, finally hit the Custard Hut this year. Great soft serve.

Hope this helps - enjoy your vacation.

jjeff.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Will venture over to Planation.

Lou

That .sig gave me the feeling you might be pretty much 'been here, done that' on the island; but I'll lance a suggestion (or two)...

I like Blue (run by high end surfers; not cheap eats):

Blue (Surf City) had spectacular seaside eats in a relaxed sophisticated atmosphere (kids were fine); Tamarind Pork Chop & eggplant puree, Blackened Salmon, Southwest Grilled Chicken & polenta and Lobster (claws, tail) demi glaze w/ a rock shrimp, chorizo, bean sprouts & Asparagus tip wrap salad. BYOB also...

And there's a review of Lex Mex (er, low end surfers? anyhow, cheaper eats) in threads below.

Ok - not high or low - they surf together and good food and vibes are found in both joints.

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...