• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broiler Pans

menton1

I am looking for a broiler pan to use in the oven for broiling. Most of the stuff out there is either for roasting (in the oven) or sautéing (on top of the stove).

I was using a stainless steel pan, but the high heat of the broiler causes the pan to warp and then snap back.

Hoping for suggestions for a good pan that can withstand the high heat of the waist-high oven broiler (gas). If it has a broiling rack that would be great as well. Thanks!

This is the one Caphalon pan I own broiler

I love thi span. I do a lot of broiling and this pan has stood up to everything I through at it. The ones that came with my ovens are useless.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The last time I visited my mom she broiled some steaks for dinner and didn't put any foil on her broiler pan since it was non-stick.

Except that it turned out it wasn't non-stick. :hmmm: She told me "I haven't used the broiler pan since I bought my new oven...and, well, it looked like it's a non-stick broiler pan." Double :hmmm:

Thank God for Dawn Power Dissolver!

I'd go with Marlene's suggestion.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am not sure I like the idea of non-stick on a broiler pan. It would seem to me that you could exceed the temperature recommended for the teflon, even if it is only exposed on the upper lip of the pan, it worries me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am not sure I like the idea of non-stick on a broiler pan. It would seem to me that you could exceed the temperature recommended for the teflon, even if it is only exposed on the upper lip of the pan, it worries me.

I agree it's iffy. But unless you've got an infrared broiler, and as long as you don't mind replacing the pan every couple of years, it will probably be alright.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Yeah... Just don't keep any pet birds in the area. :shock:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Right. And maybe don't breathe, if you can help it.

But what temperature do most broilers reach? 700 F? I haven't done the math (and I'm not going to, but for anyone interested, energy decreases as a square of disatnce), I'd bet the temperature at the pan is borderline for PTFE decomposition (648 F).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Hmmm... Good question. I have never tried to measure the temperature. What little broiling I have done in the past few years has been under the typical electric element in the oven. I would use another pan to elevate the "broiler pan" closer to the element. Typically, I am broiling fairly thin fish filets and want them to go really fast so the filets are on one of my heavy aluminum half sheets sitting on something of appropriate height. Those half sheets from the restaurant supply don't go "sproing" and work quite well. I would NEVER put anything with teflon that close. I am betting that the temp exceeds 700F.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I just spent a few minutes going through the Calphalon site. Of course, they've radically reduced their non-stick offerings in the last year. But this is telling:

About Nonstick Cookware

Can I use Calphalon nonstick cookware in the broiler unit?

NO. Nonstick material cannot tolerate broiler temperatures. Never use a nonstick pan in a broiler unit, not even for a few seconds because you can ruin your pan.

In the answer to another question:

Can I use Calphalon One Nonstick in the oven and broiler?

Calphalon One cookware is safe up to 500 degrees F. Nonstick pans should not be used under the broiler.

So: 1) Marlene, I'm impressed that your pan works so well; 2) I'm surprised that Calphalon ever offered such a piece, and that W-S still sells it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I suppose. I've been using the pan for well over a year now with no problems. Most home oven broilers don't get over 500 or 550 to my knowledge. I use that broiler for steaks, ribs, creme brulee, and lots of other things. Having said that, I also use the convection broil feature most often on my oven. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. And most broilers are not operated for long periods of time. I think the longest I use mine is to broil ribs, about 20 minutes.

I just checked my pan, and ther are no scratches, and no wearing of the teflon. Go figure.

:blink:

Marlene

Thanks so far, everyone-- it's too bad we don't have some more definitive answers and more suggestions-- Is in-oven broiling that unpopular? I would think that for apartment dwellers it's the only option. I wonder what people are using. Can't find anything on the manufacturers' web sites, either... Strange.

Is in-oven broiling that unpopular?  I would think that for apartment dwellers it's the only option. 

I don't think it is at all unpopular or unusual. Whether in my house or my current apartment, using the oven broiler has been the only option. As I said above, I just use a half sheet pan, elevated as necessary because even the highest rack setting isn't close enough.

I just can't figure out why anyone would offer a teflon coated broiler pan.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I use a couple of no-name heavy duty 1/4 and 1/2 sheet cookie sheets that I picked up at my local hardware store. Haven't had any problems yet.

I have gone through quite a number of cheap sheets that do that distinctive "whomp" as the two opposing corners pop-up. For a while I used it as a temperature gauge for the oven - it happened at about 350.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I broil stuff all the time.

And Fifi, don't knock the pan till you've tried it :raz: It works a dream. Really :smile:

Marlene

All that talk about Teflon made me forget what we were supposed to be talking about. I use the sheet-pan approach, too. Heavy-gauge 1/4- and 1/2-sheets are available at and restaurant supply outlet, or on line from places like http://www.BigTray.com. If you can't get decently heavy ones, nest two thin ones for warp (and "whomp") resistance.

Also, buy the fitted racks.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I use a broiler pan all the time. Mine is not non-stick, however. :angry:

It's two pieces...a grooved flat top piece with slits for fat/juices to run down into and a drip pan underneath.

I spray the top piece with non-stick spray (like PAM) and then, as the King of Overkill, I line the sprayed top pan with aluminum foil and prick it with a fork so the fat/juices can run down into the slits.

I also line the bottom drip pan with foil. Needless to say, clean up is relatively easy.

I own no birds so I wouldn't mind a non-stick broiler pan. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Also, buy the fitted racks.

Yeah... I forgot to add about the fitted racks. I have the wire thingies that double as cooling racks. They work well for doing a whole package of bacon in the oven as well.

I like that set up better than the broiler pan with the slits that usually comes with the stove.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"