• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cone Dilemma: Sugar, Cake, Waffle or ?

Cusina

I'm a sugar cone girl myself, unless they make the waffle cones right there and serve them slightly warm and the whole place smells like waffley goodness. Then, I have to have one. My family, however, seems to favor the cake cones.

What's your favorite?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Dude. Waffle. :wub:

I'll take sugar if I can't get waffle, though.

and whipped cream on top.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

In order of preference:

Waffle (but ONLY good stuff... cheap ones have a nasty metallic taste to them)

Sugar (The crispiness is king)

Cake (I like the little slots at the bottom of the cake cones... seems to go particularly well with soft serve)

Cup (although the cup is much more convenient if there are a lot of toppings I need)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

What are cake cones? I'm not familiar with the term.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What are cake cones?  I'm not familiar with the term.

Those the the short cones with the flat bottoms frequently used by vendors of soft-serve ice cream. They're called cake even though the taste is more like puffy packing peanuts. I figured vendors used them because they're cheap; I'm amazed that anyone actually likes them.

Actually, my favorite way to have ice cream is in a large glass goblet on a saucer. With enough toppings to overflow (hence the need for the saucer).

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Those the the short cones with the flat bottoms frequently used by vendors of soft-serve ice cream. They're called cake even though the taste is more like puffy packing peanuts. I figured vendors used them because they're cheap; I'm amazed that anyone actually  likes them.

Huh. I never knew that's what they're called. In that case...my favorite is definitely the sugar cone. But when it comes down to it, as long as I get my ice cream I don't really care. The cone is just the delivery system.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Okay, then what is a sugar cone? Because I think the cake cone is what I've always thought the sugar cone was.

Cake is #1 if it's soft server, for the waffle filled with ice cream at the bottom. Waffle cones are fine for hard ice cream...

Cake or cup. I want to taste the ice cream, not some weird cookie thing.

Strange, out of ALL my friends and family I'm the ONLY one that likes the cake cones. My cones and I have walked the lonely road! :raz:

However, there are these multi-colored cake cones that I swear have some 'off' flavor about them. Just can't get into 'em.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Okay, then what is a sugar cone? Because I think the cake cone is what I've always thought the sugar cone was.

A sugar cone is a pre-made waffle-type cone with a pointy tip. It's made of a much darker, denser, sweeter, "stretchier" sort of cookie than a cake cone (which is, as somebody's already mentioned, vaguely reminiscent of packing peanuts and appears to be made in some sort of injection mold), and I've never liked them, finding that they call too much attention to themselves and detract from the ice cream.

Waffle cones may or may not be made in-house or locally, but in any case are manufactured to give the impression of non-industrial product: much larger, sort of raggedy edges that don't line up. Typically a lighter, crispier sort of waffle. As they're large they hold a lot of ice cream, the amount I'd generally give to my entire family of four.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Might I just add that if you go into the Ben & Jerry's at 104th and Broadway in NYC and ask for a waffle cone when they are out of them, they will make one fresh for you?

*faints*

:wub::wub::wub:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The cake cones were called "safety cones" during my youth in the Chicago area. Why I do not know. They tasted like communion wafers. I prefer the sugar cone over the waffle-the latter is too sweet and competes with the ice cream.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I was thinking of making the cake cone/communion wafer comparison, and you beat me to it. Calling them safety cones seems pretty ironic, since the grid of cross-beams in the bottom seems particularly unsafe to bite into if it hasn't been softened first with melty ice cream.

Lately, I prefer my ice cream in the form of a milkshake. Strawberry cheesecake flavored, if possible.

The cake cones were called "safety cones"

Probably because some mother somewhere thought that the pointy bottom on the sugar cones was dangerous and could put somebody's (your little brother's?) eye out. :raz::rolleyes::wacko:

I have had pointy cake cones in Russia and England, however. Still tasted like packing peanuts, but there wasn't a choice. And, of course, in England, they have those nifty double-headed cones for two flavors (usually soft-serve).

It's a sugar cone for me, mainly because the waffle cone's just too darned big. Used to make 'em, though, back at my first job, burning my fingers rolling the hot waffle around the mold. But, man did they smell good! :wub:

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Not sure about this, but the "safety cone" term might have been because the usual cake cones have a flat bottom, such that one could actually set it down on a flat surface without it tipping over (assuming the cone wasn't over- or assymetrically filled).

Can you pee in the ocean?

I'm also a big fan of the cake cones - sometimes I just eat them plain without ice cream. And besides using them for ice cream I use them to bake ice cream cone cupcakes in, it's the easiest thing to do but somehow everyone ends up being horribly impressed.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Pretty sure that safety cones were so called because you could set them down. Before they came out--back in the dark ages of my life--all cones were "pointy", and had to be held constantly. That made giving a cone to a 2 year old quite a project.

I like sugar cones myself, don't like the sogginess of the cake ones.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Love sugar cones - they hold just the right serving size of ice cream for my taste. Growing up, though I loved the cake cones my mom always bought - the ones with the clown on the box. These were the cones with pre-imprinted names on them. My siblings and I always fought about who got the coolest names :biggrin:. Anyone else remember these?