• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyle's Golden Syrup

dahlsk

Harry Potter's Treacle Tart

Lyle's Golden Syrup has a unique taste and is used in a wide range of recipes, from flapjacks to sponge puddings and sweet-and-sour dishes. It is a cane-sugar syrup used in place of liquid sweeteners such as honey, corn syrup and molasses. It makes an excellent glaze, topping, spread or substitute.

This looks like a wonderful way to use Lyle's Golden Syrup! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

substitute the Golden syrup for Karo in Pecan Pies. This was a trick we used at Windsor Court Hotel. I still make my pecan pies that way. It is a little more expensive, but I love the flavor.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Actually, that's the recipe in Fergus Henderson's The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating. (The writer does credit it properly.)

If anyone tries this recipe, please please PLEASE let me know if you have any problems with it. This was one that looked wrong in the original, and I made changes that seemed logical but I never actually tested the new version (:blush: bad Suzanne :angry:). Of course I hope it works perfectly :wink: but you never know.

You might also check out Tate & Lyle's recipe site.

Golden Syrup Dumplings

We used to have these in winter as a treat - serve with lots of whipped cream - yum.

Golden Syrup Dumplings 2

Both recipies are Australian so watch measurements.

Just found another favourite - havn't made this recipie but Janelle is really good with the microwave so shouldn't be a worry Golden Syrup Pudding

Edited by misgabi (log)

golden syrup is, ahem, look away now calorie police, delicious on buttered white bread.

Cornish ginger fairings - delicious gingery chewy sticky cracked-top biscuits, I defy you to have only one, perfect with a cup of tea. have got recipe at home (of course) but this one looks pretty similar to my version. Would use butter rather than marg (bleaargh), though.

or Anzac biscuits - sticky coconut oatmeal + raisin biscuits, crisp round the edges. my boss, who is Australian, makes these. I haven't the heart to tell her that my friend Judy's are better, and Judy's never even been to Australia... again, my recipe is at home, but this one looks pretty much on the money. they burn easily though so watch them.

or my Auntie Maisie's Hot Chocolate Fudge Sauce. just add vanilla icecream. or a spoon.

Fi

Edited by curlywurlyfi (log)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

The tin, with green and gold art deco artwork, a sleeping lion and the motto "Out of the strong came forth sweetness" is a classic.

Dead lion.

"Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him. And the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done. And he went down, and talked with the woman; and she pleased Samson well. And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion. And he took thereof in his hands, and went on eating, and came to his father and mother, and he gave them, and they did eat: but he told not them that he had taken the honey out of the carcase of the lion. So his father went down unto the woman: and Samson made there a feast; for so used the young men to do. And it came to pass, when they saw him, that they brought thirty companions to be with him. And Samson said unto them, I will now put forth a riddle unto you: if ye can certainly declare it to me within the seven days of the feast, and find it out, then I will give you thirty sheets and thirty change of garments: But if ye cannot declare it me, then shall ye give me thirty sheets and thirty change of garments. And they said unto him, Put forth thy riddle, that we may hear it.

And he said unto them, Out of the eater came forth meat, and out of the strong came forth

sweetness. And they could not in three days expound the riddle.

You owe me thirty sheets and thirty changes of garment. :smile:

More appropriate on a jar of honey, but it is a great classic tin design.

Seek out the June 2004 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveler: On page 186 there is printed a recipe for Golden Syrup-and-Date Steamed Pudding served w/ Vanilla Bean Custard.

The article, “The Sugar Club” – in which this recipe is comprised – is a delightful read. Also, you may access an online resource on various sweeteners:

http://www.sugarindia.com/default.htm

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

There is also a recipe in Gordon Ramsey's Desserts that he claims is great. It's the only reason I bought some but I've yet to try the recipe.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

geez, you learn something new everyday.

So Adam (my samson is rusty before delilah and the cutting of the hair and so forth) are you telling me they ate the dead lion?

that seems wrong on several levels....

So Adam (my samson is rusty before delilah and the cutting of the hair and so forth) are you telling me they ate the dead lion?

It's from Judges and is basically bad PR for the Philistines. My grandmother would read me all these biblical stories, this bit with Sampson and the honey and The Prodigal Son bit both stuck in my memory because the former is yucky and the latter didn't make any sense.

I doubt that Sampson was an actual individual, but from the text (English version) it seems that he only took the honey, not the lions meat. Which lets face it would be revolting.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, that's the recipe in Fergus Henderson's The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating. (The writer does credit it properly.)

If anyone tries this recipe, please please PLEASE let me know if you have any problems with it. This was one that looked wrong in the original, and I made changes that seemed logical but I never actually tested the new version (:blush: bad Suzanne :angry:). Of course I hope it works perfectly :wink: but you never know.

You might also check out Tate & Lyle's recipe site.

I tried the one in Nose to Tail a couple of days ago. It was delicious and came out perfect. I really loved the tart shell, it needs no rolling and bakes blind perfectly without any beans or weights. So consider this another recommendation to use the syrup in a Treacle Tart.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I like to sub it for the molasses in gingerbread. Makes it a bit more delicate, but the flavor is amazing. Subtler, but since i make my gingerbread spicy anyway, it works very well....

mmm...treacle tart...

substitute the Golden syrup for Karo in Pecan Pies.  This was a trick we used at Windsor Court Hotel.  I still make my pecan pies that way.  It is a little more expensive, but I love the flavor.

Exactly my thought! Lyle's provides a clean flavor in a pecan pie which can be a nice change of pace from the funky "dark Karo" flavor one normally expects. For pecan pie, I think it's Lyle's Golden Syrup on one end of the spectrum, and Steen's Cane Syrup on the other. Both are very tasty, but in entirely different ways.

--

Exactly my thought!  Lyle's provides a clean flavor in a pecan pie which can be a nice change of pace from the funky "dark Karo" flavor one normally expects.  For pecan pie, I think it's Lyle's Golden Syrup on one end of the spectrum, and Steen's Cane Syrup on the other.  Both are very tasty, but in entirely different ways.

I use Lyle's in anything that wants corn syrup, which mostly ends up being pecan tarts. I also use it as simple syrup in cocktails.

regards,

trillium

a spoonful on a bowl of porridge , with some cream.

On making a bread and butter pudding sub the syrup for the sugar used.

As mentioned earlier, on a slice of white buttered bread, lovely.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I tried the Fergus Henderson recipe for Treacle Tart, and the crust was nice. Unfortunately, I was a little loose with the recipe and didn't use fresh bread crumbs. I used ones I had in a can in my cupboard instead. It was cooking on a whim, and it didn't work well! Rats, shame on me. Can I assume the moisture level in fresh bread crumbs has something to do with success? My dried crumbs in a can sucked up all the golden syrup and made a strange, very solid filling for a tart.